News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Girly Talk (1999 - 2006 Tigers) / Re: Surging at 3-4k RPM
Last post by Flyingwombat - April 15, 2024, 11:09:16 PM
Cleaning injectors did not help...

My long term fuel trim seems to have set itself really weird too, was down at -60, I have tried to reset this, but unfortunately the slider on the TuneECU app is playing up (only for the trim) and if I select any number highlighted it jumps to another random number, ie. -10 jumps to +80 and then 0 to -80 and +10 to +60. Doesn't make sense so have a TuneECU query on this as it seems to be a UI issue on the app.

The engine is quite sporadic now, it's fluctuations have worsened, at idle it will stall or bring itself up to around 3000rpm.

On the plus side I think I'm getting there. The fuel pump is noise when priming is getting worse, a very noticeable squeal now. Considering replacing that, the fuel pressure regulator and the filter. Could do with measuring the fuel pressure really but the Triumph part is extortionate. Does anyone know how to read the pump voltage?
Steamers (1993-1998 Tigers) / Re: 955i side stand a direct f...
Last post by Titus - April 15, 2024, 09:47:35 PM
I once had a VFR750 bury itself into soft heatsoaked tarmac, went for drinks and when I got back barely got the thing out  :rfl
+1 on the pad, she is one heavy mother.
Steamers (1993-1998 Tigers) / Re: Steamer with bad habbits
Last post by Titus - April 15, 2024, 09:42:43 PM
Never did it Phil, always backed up by car battery, thanks for the head up, well if it should run it doesnt, just behaves like in the video.
My tiger has the fat white running up the main harness, no connection to the battery, called it up and goes to a con block then to the ign switch. So...same as in the wiring diagram.
Behaves like the cdi runs out of juice to feed the coils, doesn't look the same to you? Starts the runs progressively less. Already checked all connections so I'm out, pickup coil arrived today, will change it after I fit the alternator and check how it goes. If both these parts dont fix her, we will have to wait for the cdi to get here (hoping it's a good one). Guess it's time to start throwing parts at her until she wakes up.
Wish me luck.You cannot see attachments on this board.
Last post by London_Phil - April 15, 2024, 08:42:38 PM
Fat white goes direct to battery via a fuse. Brown one goes to the switched live circuits, so yes one is live at all times. Alternator outputs the dc charging voltage, as it contains all the charging components, ie stator and rectifier/regulator system.
Bike should run without the alternator.

BUT ...DO NOT USE THE STARTER WITH A WEAK BATTERY....YOU WILL DESTROY THE STARTER SPRAG CLUTCH.

Just don't do it. Unless you have a very early engine with an access cover, you run the risk of a serious repair.
Last post by Titus - April 15, 2024, 08:25:24 PM
Alternator has 2 wires, fat white one and little brown one, white one has 12v when ign off, voltage drops when ign on, brown one has 12v all the time, measured against the big mass screwed between the alternator and engine block, is that normal? What is the alt supposed to output? Have the manual and wiring diagram, just cant figure it out. Is the bike supposed to run without the alt? If you see my video, sure looks like a volt supply problem, hope to get the alt back tomorrow.
Girly Talk (1999 - 2006 Tigers) / Re: Believe it or not... start...
Last post by jcbrnld - April 15, 2024, 07:17:39 PM
When the signal side is given 12v (starter button input) it fires.
The switch works at least to some extent because lights dim when it is pressed.
Realistically with these sort of issues, its probably best to try to link out individual items rather than loading the parts canon. Are you saying that if the solenoid is given 12v, the starter fires, ie its the control side, such as dirty contacts etc, or does it need the load side of the relay shorted to work properly. Your description suggests the starter switch neds looking at for corrosion or bad connections.  I've seen issues with the engine kill switch causing starting issues, but this can also cause sudden engine stop, so maybe start with the switch?
Girly Talk (1999 - 2006 Tigers) / Believe it or not... starting ...
Last post by jcbrnld - April 15, 2024, 05:29:38 PM
Hello all,
In general my '99 girly is dead reliable and quite a dream machine.
There is just one little issue that I have not been able to figure out.
It started slow. Occasionally I would have to push the starter button a few times to get the engine to turn over. Then some days it would turn over with the switch and others it would not. For the sake of simplicity I added a separate momentary switch providing 12 pure volts directly to the starter solenoid. This bypasses everything and allows the engine to turn over every time as long as the clutch is pulled.

Now that momentary switch is having internal issues so I am motivated to try to fix the OEM system too.

Here's the issue:
Everything seems perfect, except no power makes it to the solenoid.
All lights come on, fuel pump primes, headlight cutout relay clicks and dash lights dim slightly when starter button is pushed. Just no power at solenoid.

When I provide power to the solenoid separately it starts and runs perfectly... carried me through an iron butt ride no problemo.

It seems like an issue in either the headlight cutout relay or the starter switch itself. Both give signs of life so idk which to pursue first.
I did test the cutout relay back when all this started and all seemed good there... maybe it's worth a replacement anyway.

Any insight or helpful advice would be much appreciated.
Last post by gcloys - April 15, 2024, 04:21:49 PM
Quote from: London_Phil on April 15, 2024, 04:07:50 PMThe only thing I would add is the pad area is tiny. I once arrived at a Rally in a wet field, and had to wait on my Steamer until someone came to see if I was OK, as the stand disappeared straight into the grass. I made myself a foot for my stand after that, which also helped with the angle..
:>< :iagree My stand (original) was modified by the previous owner with an extension and larger foot. I did need to put a bushing in the hole to fix the wobble. For some of my other bikes I carry a pad to throw under.
Last post by London_Phil - April 15, 2024, 04:12:31 PM
Best I could find, showing support bar and foot..You cannot see attachments on this board.