News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

-98 Sprag clutch tooth size, 51t or 53t?

Started by P3aK, October 29, 2014, 04:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

You might get away with drilling out the original Alternator Splined Drive Shaft and fitting a long HT bolt. The shaft is hard steel (I tried drilling one and blunted several HSS bits) so you may need help from a machine shop. Take that with a pinch of salt as I haven't done it or know of anyone who has.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

gcloys

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 03, 2023, 12:13:06 AMYou might get away with drilling out the original Alternator Splined Drive Shaft and fitting a long HT bolt. The shaft is hard steel (I tried drilling one and blunted several HSS bits) so you may need help from a machine shop. Take that with a pinch of salt as I haven't done it or know of anyone who has.
I wouldn't bother trying to drill the shaft either. Looks like the 98 should be updated and I wasn't having any rattles or weird sounds, starter tries briefly but just spins. Still gleaning info before diving into the job. Very tempted to try the 45mm fork seal spring on sprag as people have had success on T300. I'll order a sprag as well (or 2) depending on availability in future. The job doesn't look too daunting and doesn't require any special tools, just time and a bunch of fasteners.

gcloys

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 03, 2023, 12:13:06 AMYou might get away with drilling out the original Alternator Splined Drive Shaft and fitting a long HT bolt. The shaft is hard steel (I tried drilling one and blunted several HSS bits) so you may need help from a machine shop. Take that with a pinch of salt as I haven't done it or know of anyone who has.
98  My shaft doesn't fit the new sprag, Slides on my 51t and looks exactly like the 51t I received from Fowlers.  Did they change the shaft dimensions on the upgrade shaft kit?. I already have the through bolt shaft. "98 TIger USA BRG 55335 vin"

Sin_Tiger

I don't have an earlier one (screw in both ends) and a later one (through bolt) unfitted that I can compare on the bench. However, as the later shaft was offered as a direct replacement, I'd be really surprised if it doesn't fit straight in. The sprag and or spacer can drop slightly if you pull the shaft out and it takes a bit of jiggling to realign everything, the "trick" to keep everything in line, is to use the replacement shaft to push out the original.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

gcloys

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 18, 2023, 12:09:32 AMI don't have an earlier one (screw in both ends) and a later one (through bolt) unfitted that I can compare on the bench. However, as the later shaft was offered as a direct replacement, I'd be really surprised if it doesn't fit straight in. The sprag and or spacer can drop slightly if you pull the shaft out and it takes a bit of jiggling to realign everything, the "trick" to keep everything in line, is to use the replacement shaft to push out the original.
Everything is disassembled, I've fitted a seal spring to the old sprag and the new arrived from Fowlers yesterday. I think that my shaft may have been drilled through by a previous owner as there are indexing marks on one end and the through bolt is 12.9 din vs the 10.5 din offered in the kit.  I too was thinking as a direct replacement it should be the same, but it (the upgraded shaft) may be slightly smaller than the non-drilled shaft and therefore fit. My calipers say there is only a .01-.02mm difference but enough to go from a slip fit with a bit of lash to an interference fit.  Parts numbers are correct, so in goes the old until I get another upgraded shaft to check the new sprag against.  According to the parts fiche this shaft was still being used up until 2020 in some models.  Being in the U.S. is a bit of difficulty.  The part from Fowlers was $50 less than buying it Stateside even with $50 shipping!

Sin_Tiger

Difference might just be due to wear on the splines, might be worth taking a magnifying glass for a close look. A little fine filing might be enough.

gcloys

I checked it out when trying to fit and it looked good. I've got a line on a used upgraded shaft part# T1220268 out of a 1997 Daytona 955i (T595) Looks like this shaft is used all the way up to 2020 in the Thunderbird Standard as well.

gcloys

Quote from: gcloys on May 18, 2023, 08:58:38 PMI checked it out when trying to fit and it looked good. I've got a line on a used upgraded shaft part# T1220268 out of a 1997 Daytona 955i (T595) Looks like this shaft is used all the way up to 2020 in the Thunderbird Standard as well.
The Daytona shaft wasn't hollow, so I purchased a 2002 trophy sprag assembly with shaft, bearing and gear on Ebay.  This shaft fit no problem!! So mine was either drilled or they changed the dimensions slightly (smaller) on the upgraded shaft.('98 tiger).

Sin_Tiger

That was a good find, now you know where you are with it  :thumbsup

gcloys

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 26, 2023, 12:33:36 AMThat was a good find, now you know where you are with it  :thumbsup
And have 2 sprags to boot! Another interesting observation is the 98 Tigre splined spacer has an oiling hole and the 2002 Trophy doesn't. Evolution of the engineering; the manual also stated changes/elimination in oiling passages were found superfluous. Traces of blue hylomar on case haves, is that what was used from factory? I have some if so but was intending to use 1207b 3bond.

Sin_Tiger

I can't remember what it was they used they used in the factory but grey colour sticks in my mind. Blue Hylomar should do the job, I've used that on liner base joints without any issues, water on one side, oil on the other side and cylinder temps on the third.