News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Things you really should get round to doing....

Started by Bixxer Bob, January 23, 2015, 11:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

There's a thread with this title in the Girly section but a lot of it carries over.  My latest comment over there was jogged by a Steamer ign lock thread.  Feel free to add anything you think is easy to overlook but will help keep your Steamer steamin'  :wheel
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Yes, as you said in the Key Barrel thread:

Mostly, we do all the usual stuff like engine oil, filters, plugs valve gaps etc but then forget the little things like a few drops of lubricant in the locks, oiling the cables, clean and grease caliper slide pins etc  All equally essential if we're to avoid a sudden problem miles from anywhere.

Don't forget to give the suspension grease points a squirt now and again, too. And maybe check the tyre pressure more than twice a riding season. :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Particularly for those that ride through the winter on roads treated with salt.

It's a good idea to whip the calipers off to check the condition of the exposed portion of the piston, if you catch it in good time you can usually save them by cleaning off the surface corrosion.

Just as important, it lets you check the pad condition, what might look OK with sufficient meat while in position reveals quite a different story when it's taken out of the caliper.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 25, 2015, 12:49:55 AM
Particularly for those that ride through the winter on roads treated with salt.

In many ways we are lucky hereabouts. Because it is impractical to even think about riding through the winter our bikes do not have to suffer the torment of road salt and gravel.

The biggest issues we see are those to do with bikes not being put away properly for the down time: non-drained fuel systems, particularly, resulting in gummed up carbs.

Mustang

Quote from: nickjtc on January 25, 2015, 04:51:32 AM

In many ways we are lucky hereabouts. Because it is impractical to even think about riding through the winter our bikes do not have to suffer the torment of road salt and gravel.

The biggest issues we see are those to do with bikes not being put away properly for the down time: non-drained fuel systems, particularly, resulting in gummed up carbs.

:nono not all of us park it in the winter............... :icon_lol:

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on January 25, 2015, 02:52:57 PM
not all of us park it in the winter............... :icon_lol:

Ah yes, but you are a lucky b#@@&r who has three wheels to play on! :notworthy

Being the anal retent I am I'm not sure I would take even an outfit like that out in the winter..... too much time involved in making sure it would not suffer the ravages of road salt and magnesium fluoride after each ride.

Lucky you, anyway.

BruKen

Check rims for water ingress and rot when doing tyre changes. Seal as neccessary. When laying up over winter watch for condensation pooling on the rims.

What is it about steamers and their rims that they rot so easily?

Mustang

aluminum and road salt doesn't play good together ,
they are treating our roads here in NH now with saline solution sprayed on the road surface .
That shit gets into far more places on your vehicle  than the old method of salt and sand .

Geoff W

It was salt getting in via the valve hole that corroded my rear wheel rim. It split either side of the valve hole, corroded through from the inside. According to the wheelbuilder who rebuilt mine the DID rims are well known for this. He uses Spanish rims which he reckons will give no problem.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

ssevy

Quote from: Mustang on October 19, 2015, 07:35:38 PM
aluminum and road salt doesn't play good together ,
they are treating our roads here in NH now with saline solution sprayed on the road surface .
That shit gets into far more places on your vehicle  than the old method of salt and sand .
I wonder what the fate of the new mostly aluminum F-150 is going to be here in the Northeast? Could get real ugly I think!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

ned37

95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ned37 on October 22, 2015, 03:03:13 AM
boy, it sure is nice living in arizona

You can go off some people very quickly  :icon_razz:

Nick Calne

So how do aluminium yachts work then? By this logic they'd be at the bottom of the sea. Different alloy?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Nick Calne

And land rovers. The only bit that seems to persist is the aluminium body.  :icon_scratch:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?