News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Not starting or crankinking at all

Started by Sidk, October 06, 2017, 06:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Sidk on October 09, 2017, 11:13:37 AM
I haven't touched anyones ying yang...  :icon_mrgreen:
Not you? Huh! Who is touching it?

Sidk

Well after a few days sitting. Yesterday i took the bike out for a quick trip. all was perfect. parked it over night. started right up in the morning. went 7km parked it for 3 hours. went back started right up took it 10km into the city. in heavy traffic, the lights were on.  i stalled at a stop light and nothing... wouldnt start. same thing.  i am replacing the battery as soon as i can find one.. but i think the combintion of traffic and lights cause the battery to drain faster than it can charge. thoughts?

Sidk

just add a bit further to the story.. after this mornings non turn over.
instead of just jump starting the bike today i was lucky enough to be in front of a bike shop. so they charged the battery for me for an hour. (1130-1230) bike started fine and all is good. went to a battery shop they didnt have the battery type that must not be named (staying away from that ying yang) so its on order... drove around for the next 4 hours. in heavy traffic doing variois errands. Finally  i parked the bike in front of the house and as i parked i had to adjust it a bit so i started it up.. and dead again.. not turning over.again .  :^_^

GavD

My mate had similar issues with his Daytona engined Steamer, that he bought with a motobatt fitted. he was convinced it was a starter motor problem, so we stripped it down to get the starter motor out. Stripped the starter motor, all looked good, put it back together and tried it on a car batt he had lying about, it span up ok. put it back in the bike - nothing. Strapped the car battery over onto the bike and ta-da, she started. He bought a new battery, all good.

We basically wasted a whole day farting around, when we could have just proved it with my steamer battery!! you live and learn.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sidk

Just to close the thread..

The problem was due to broken brushes which caused intermittant charging.

rybes

Broken bushes in what part? Glad you finally got it fixed
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Sidk

The brushes in the Alternator top end under the cover in the brush holder.

rybes

I never would have thought to look there
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)