News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer exchanged

Started by Geoff W, October 21, 2021, 09:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff W

After twenty years of ownership and 80,000 miles of riding I have finally part exchanged my Steamer for an up to date bike. I now have a 2017 Tiger Sport 1050. After a brief ride yesterday I can confirm that the last 25 years of work at Triumph Engineering have produced a very good bike, very comfortable and easy to ride. Whether it will be as forgiving of lapses of concentration as the Steamer I hope not to find out.
So I now have a collection of parts, some used , some unused. I will rake around in the shed and see what is lurking, I think that Steamer owners are now rather "Like the lands where the Jumblies live"  in the UK anyway so there may not be many takers, but I shall draw up a list.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Nick Calne

Oh my word Geoff!  Did the experiences on the Isle of Man push you over the edge?   :icon_eek:

You'll need to post some pics and update your signature...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

That sounds like a decent trade-up Geoff! So, any pics in a new 1050 Tiger topic yet? ;) We do have a section for them on here.  :wheel

And I do think that Steamers are slowly crossing over to collectors bikes, so as parts are getting less easily available, there will be people interested. Hopefully on here. Otherwise Nick will take it all probably.  :mut
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Nick Calne

I wish Ghulst, but sadly I have divested myself of nearly all steamer equipment and parts.  Over the winter I'll be making it presentable and then getting it sold with a new MOT in spring.  I haven't really used it much in the past three or four years, perhaps 2000miles in that time, and it takes up a big bit of real estate in the garage.  Much as I love it when I do ride it, the africa twin almost always wins the 'which-bike-to-ride' challenge and I have accepted it is time to move on.  I am not quite in Geoff's league, I've only had mine for 12 years but it has been a great bike and I'll feel the same as Geoff probably does now.  Slightly regretful to see it go.

I don't think I'm going to buy anything else when it finally happens, well not unless the new triumph enduro type bikes are very interesting when they come out, so probably the money will go into my wife's new bike.  She has her eye on a bonneville, so at least we are staying in the Triumph family!

Anyone want a really nice caspian blue steamer?

Sin_Tiger

Well done Geoff  :thumbsup keep an eye on the speedo, they're deceptively quick. I do have a fondness for the 1050, it's a lovely engine and with the later Sport they resolved just about all the issues we complained about on the 1st gen bike, seat, headlights and airflow  :><

Piccies please  :rock-1:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Quote from: Nick Calne on October 21, 2021, 02:29:34 PM
Anyone want a really nice caspian blue steamer?
If it was the right price and not on another island...

Bixxer Bob

Glad to hear it Geoff! The 1950 is a lively engine.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Quote from: ghulst on October 21, 2021, 03:53:58 PM
If it was the right price and not on another island...

I can help with one part of that...

ghulst

I'm afraid that would mean you would ride it to the IOM. ;)

London_Phil

So get puncture=replace bike (obviously simplifying..)...Hmmmmm not sure the CFO of our house will buy into that one...Unlike a cat, I only have one life, so not going to add that to any agenda soon.....

But Glad your happy Geoff. Steamer did its thing, but I really like Fuel Injection.....But the Steamer just has presence, I think we all miss them more than we admit, even with our new fangled machines.