News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Newbie

Started by gcloys, May 11, 2022, 07:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcloys

Just picked up a '98 on Sunday that is relatively unmolested. Learning curve is steep right now and I'm gathering resources for a full going through to start at square 1 on this keeper.  I've joined all the FB groups T300 and T400 Tiger, downloaded PDF's and done some searches. I've order parts of ebay and I am in search of a rack. Safe to say I'm stuck in now.
 The core of this group seems to be the best touch stone for long lost knowledge and experience with regards to this model. Being a current owner of a Cagiva Gran Canyon, I am very familiar with swelling  tanks and the adventures of plastic welding.  How well are everybody else's tanks holding up especially after repair/ Never found the follow up to ssevy's post.  Anyway, sorry for the novel, I'll be checking in early and often. I'll post a picture below

gcloys

Here she is 1998 Triumph Tiger T400 37k miles. Already put the original fender back on and have been told the front discs are on backwards. Looking for the rack (have bags, PO sold the full rack to someone at a gas station for $400. Looking for that small airbox cover in BRG

gcloys

Filled it up with 93octane after the 150 mile ride home and its so heavy I can't get it up on the center stand, nowhere comfortable to grab without the rack, passenger peg a little low for me as I'm 6'5.
 Which segways perfectly to WTF is up with the pegs! PO was 6'1" and dropped 'em an inch but I gotta to have mo! What are the alternatives out there?  I've order both hangers with after market lower pegs (looks like they came off a 70's chopper) on ebay $50 all in so what the hell, have some bodging material. Is there a cross reference from othe models/manufactures that work?  Looks like I can get about 2 inches total.  The bike will be a 2up green-laner.

Lee337

:ww

Think they might be right about the brake discs. They are a little top heavy, especially with a ful tank and even more of a pain popping them on the centre stand with luggage.

I don't have this particular model, mine's a newer model (2006) which has a grab rail just below the pillion seat to grab & pull on while stamping down on the centre stand.

Edit: my mistake, the Trophy has a grab rail, not the Tiger. I just use the footrest hanger.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Nick Calne

Racks do come up on ebay from time to time.  I don't know of another source in the US.  A few people in England do recycle spares such as this.

The bike will be hard work without something to grab onto when moving it about  You can get fabric grab handles which might do a job.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

gcloys

Quote from: Lee337 on May 12, 2022, 02:31:16 PM:ww

Think they might be right about the brake discs. They are a little top heavy, especially with a ful tank and even more of a pain popping them on the centre stand with luggage.

I don't have this particular model, mine's a newer model (2006) which has a grab rail just below the pillion seat to grab & pull on while stamping down on the centre stand.

Edit: my mistake, the Trophy has a grab rail, not the Tiger. I just use the footrest hanger.
Once drained, not a problem.  Can't imagine trying with gas and luggage! Head bearings are loose so I need the tool.  I can wing it once the fairing is removed but looks like the tool may fit sans removal.

gcloys

Quote from: Nick Calne on May 12, 2022, 05:34:06 PMRacks do come up on ebay from time to time.  I don't know of another source in the US.  A few people in England do recycle spares such as this.

The bike will be hard work without something to grab onto when moving it about  You can get fabric grab handles which might do a job.
The rack should work as a grab rail I'm hoping.

gcloys

MY NOS RH KnuckleGuard came today, now have a pair!
Still searching high and low for color matched airbox cover.  BRG if you've seen one LH side.
Starting to look more complete, The rack off e bay out of Colorodo has a Givi top box stuck that they can't get off. Want $166 including shipping, should I get it? Start a poll with all 7 of us

Sin_Tiger

If the discs are original, as they might be at that mileage, they will be marked. If they are after market you might have to check part numbers, EBC are marked.

You might struggle to find an air box panel, let alone a BRG one, many get broken off and lost.

The racks are also hard to find, even the steel ones. I'd be tempted to go for the Colorado offering (especially if it's an alloy version), you could sell on the Givi as there's always a market for those. I'm sure you'd manage to get it off. You could always get a generic rack and modify the legs, shout if you need photos or dimensions.

I can't see from the photos if you still have the original foot pegs, removing the rubbers will give you a little extra leg room. Our late champion Mustang used to make CNC dropped pegs for the Steamers but they don't come up for sale very often. Do a search, I have a feeling there is info about Buell pegs being an option.

Not a great deal of help I'm afraid.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

Welcome to the collective! Somes thoughts for you:

She's a big girl for sure, fully-fueled or just fumes, and I could not safely move her or put her up on her center stand without a rear rack. (I also like to have a pair of stiff-soled footwear on my feet when I am stomping on that sharp center stand tab, and it takes a good healthy pucker string to get it on the stand without shitting yourself).
Personally, I love the BRG, and think it would probably be easy for a paint shop to do over any color side cover you might be lucky enough to procure? My own side covers have been repaired with glue and are currently screwed into the airbox with metal roofing fasteners that have a rubber gasket included. My airbox didn't come with the holes already drilled, and I would not be surprised if a new replacement would also be undrilled?
If you can't source a used side cover, I'll bet you could have one 3D printed from the bike's other side cover by doing a mirror image in the software setup? Just a thought...
I put Galfer Wave rotors on my Tiger a few years ago during a brake job; don't waste your money, the EBC is just as good and was cheaper at the time. I've tried several pad setups as well, and the EBC HH seem to be the best stoppers.
Since you are new to us here, be sure to include your location, as that might get you some extra help in sourcing parts or services from people with regional knowledge.
Good luck, and again, welcome to the community!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

gcloys

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 16, 2022, 01:50:20 AMIf the discs are original, as they might be at that mileage, they will be marked. If they are after market you might have to check part numbers, EBC are marked.

You might struggle to find an air box panel, let alone a BRG one, many get broken off and lost.

The racks are also hard to find, even the steel ones. I'd be tempted to go for the Colorado offering (especially if it's an alloy version), you could sell on the Givi as there's always a market for those. I'm sure you'd manage to get it off. You could always get a generic rack and modify the legs, shout if you need photos or dimensions.

I can't see from the photos if you still have the original foot pegs, removing the rubbers will give you a little extra leg room. Our late champion Mustang used to make CNC dropped pegs for the Steamers but they don't come up for sale very often. Do a search, I have a feeling there is info about Buell pegs being an option.

Thanks for the reply, just noticed the alert even though I've been researching on this site ALOT! UPDATE: Purchased rack from Germany with paint damage but original. May still purchase the Colorado as well, as in the US things a getting scarceier! The previous owner was a novice welder practicing on the pegs by dropping them below and welding, so pretty much worthless except lower where welded but not so much out at the ends so the overall height is about the same.  Looking for good pegs with rubbers just for old times sake. Replaced pads all around, Pushrod seal from Honda.  By now should we give it an acronym like GDPRS! Fluid change.  Sourcing bits and pieces as she's a keeper.

gcloys

Thanks for the replies! Greetings from South Carolina U.S.A. I've done a lot of learning over the past few weeks. Researching the sites and posting on Facebook T300 and 885 Steamer sites.
 I remembered researching this vehicle and deciding against it for parts, problems availability etc., but that was 12-15 years ago and I had forgotten! So when I saw it local and in green 3 weeks ago I was locked and loaded!
 Took it out for a bomb on my Dual Sport Route.150 miles 50/50 Forest Service Roads and twisty mountain roads (Western North Carolina, Tennessee, North Georgia, South Carolina) And it was flawless and a blast to ride! I was keeping speeds almost equal to what I ride the route at on my KTM 530! Line picking being more critical but WOW!! 
 Long day over and pulling into the garage when I notice a wet boot.  I noticed the motor temp climbing towards the end of the ride when stopping for photo ops. so would shut down.  Assumed the leak was coolant as it would evaporate but be slightly oily. Annealed the washer on the pump and made sure all the bolts were secured correctly. While cleaning the bike I noticed quite a bit of oil weeping residue on the crank case.  Was an easy prognosis because after the oil change and overfill :cp The Push Rod Seal burped and cried a tear of clean oil from under the slave cylinder. All sorted now with the Honda crossed part and new pads and fluids.  Still need to sort the chain slider bodge. Probably source a hanger and weld it back up with a wheel. Heater hose and 4mm cutting board wrapped around the case now.

fishnbiker

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 16, 2022, 01:50:20 AMI can't see from the photos if you still have the original foot pegs, removing the rubbers will give you a little extra leg room. Our late champion Mustang used to make CNC dropped pegs for the Steamers but they don't come up for sale very often. Do a search, I have a feeling there is info about Buell pegs being an option.

I found my Mustang pegs also fit my 1991 BMW R100GS, with a minor adjustment (drilling a 1/8" hole) to locate the return spring. Maybe take a look at this idea from BMW supporters.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

fishnbiker

Quote from: gcloys on May 29, 2022, 09:03:15 PMThanks for the reply, just noticed the alert even though I've been researching on this site ALOT! UPDATE: Purchased rack from Germany with paint damage but original. May still purchase the Colorado as well, as in the US things a getting scarceier! The previous owner was a novice welder practicing on the pegs by dropping them below and welding, so pretty much worthless except lower where welded but not so much out at the ends so the overall height is about the same.  Looking for good pegs with rubbers just for old times sake. Replaced pads all around, Pushrod seal from Honda.  By now should we give it an acronym like GDPRS! Fluid change.  Sourcing bits and pieces as she's a keeper.

Maybe this thought could lead to a thread here where we can post found comparable cross-overs from other brands.
Eg; Early-mid 80s Honda brake parts are often usable with the same NISSIN parts. My valve shims also fit some older larger Kawesaki bikes, can't remember with models though.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

gcloys

Quote from: fishnbiker on June 02, 2022, 12:30:36 AMMaybe this thought could lead to a thread here where we can post found comparable cross-overs from other brands.
Eg; Early-mid 80s Honda brake parts are often usable with the same NISSIN parts. My valve shims also fit some older larger Kawesaki bikes, can't remember with models though.
Fantastic! That was my next area of research regarding shims.  I have a whole set of kz z1 kaw. shims, hope they're the same!  The engine is sounding sweet and running oh so smooth I don't want to open it up but there is not quite enough valve noise for my old ears, so I'm checking (37.5k in the U.S.A.).  Also haven't removed the carbs for a cleaning (ultrasonic) but I plan on that as well.  It will be my light duty 2 up bike and grocery posser so I may wait until the end of season since its running so well.  Priority 1 get bracket welded for a proper chain hanger, heater hose and cutting board for now with chain oil after every ride.
  From what I've gleaned, since Mstang passed its been tossed around and some stuff is lost.  I thought there would be a spreadsheet somewhere like we've got in the Cagiva GC sites REDUNDANCY IS KEY!  I'll try to put together what I learn as I go and disseminate as needed to FB, here, Rat.net etc..