News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Installing Metal Fuel Fittings

Started by EvilBetty, February 20, 2009, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "iansoady"According to my "Machinery" Screw Thread Book, BSPT stands for British Standard Pipe Thread (BS2779:1956); the taper is BSTP (BS 21:1957). So we're both right (or wrong).

But you're probably righter than me as it's clearly a tapered thread.

Not that anyone except us cares.........

Are you talking about "Machinery's Handbook"??? a 3" thick leather bound bible to anyone involved with machine tools by any chance?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

That's a serious tome, I could never afford one as a young engineer (spent all my cash trying to keep my Ariels on the road), the little yellow flip pocket book (forgotten the name but it's sitting above my workbench) was the most I could hope for.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Are you talking about "Machinery's Handbook"??? a 3" thick leather bound bible to anyone involved with machine tools by any chance?

Same publisher but 200-odd pages devoted entirely to screw threads. More than anyone could ever want to know, including thread forms, tolerances etc etc. Keep it beside the lathe for ready reference although it's getting a bit tattered.

I did have a copy of the 3" book but think I lent to someone once & didn't get it back.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

A mine of information for all things machine-related.  I remember once needing to remove a radar head main bearing (about 6ft across) at 3am on an Island 400 miles from home.  We weren't sure that the crane could lift it and the weight of the bearing wasn't known.  I rang my wife and got her out of bed (not a good idea) and directed her to Machinery's.  With some help she found the table giving weights of materials.  Once we knew the weight of a cubic inch of steel, she could go back to bed, we could calculate the worst-case weight of the bearing and got the lift done.

Those were the days.....  :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

macgart

Thanks E.B. for the great pics in your write-up.  I had one fitting break off and had a helluva time getting the pieces out.  Good thing I was replacing the fuel filter at the same time.

I feel much better now that the plastic ones are out of the picture.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I rang my wife and got her out of bed (not a good idea) and directed her to Machinery's.

Is she talking to you yet  :lol: I just remembered the little booklet is Zeus Tables, carried it around for so long I must be gettign senile to forget that  :icon_scratch
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

My copy's still in the top of my tool box even after all these years, it's a very dog-eared 1980 "Metricated" version, cost £1.05 - they cost around £6 now so I guess that's not bad in comparison.

Aahhh,,,, those were the days: a drawing, a machine tool and a lump of metal.  Life was simple then; pity we didn't know it at the time.  

These days it's programmes that are too big, budgets that are too small, people who don't know how to stick to a schedule and ongoing hostilities.  

Just got my guys back from Afghanistan safe and sound for Xmas. There's going to be a party......

Sin_Tiger

Definately worth a celebration  :party  :new_xmas

Sorry for the hijack EB

iansoady

Apologies for pushing this back on topic but.....

I decided to put the metal fittings on my 04 even though I'd had no issues with either male or female side - and guess what, the plastic ones came straight out of the tank with no problems! I've ordered the new ones from Omega who were very helpful and reasonably priced. Just waiting for them to arrive now.

However, I'm a bit confused about the male connectors / hoses. The 3/8" one is fine but the other looks (and measures) to be 5/16" rather than 1/4" (which is what I've ordered). Unfortunately Omega (like everyone else) doesn't seem to stock a 5/16" valved elbow (would be  FT-LCD230-05 if the numbering is consistent). I'm considering using 1/4" ID hose to make sure I get a good seal around the elbow.

Any views?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

EvilBetty

What is frustrating is that the OEM fittings are metric, and all the replacements are standard sizes.

To add to the confusion, at least on my bike the male elbow fittings were of two different sizes.

I used a 3/8" on the larger one and it fit nice and tight.  I had to use a 1/4" connector on the smaller one and it's not as snug as I would like but it hasn't ever leaked.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Chris Canning

I only changed the female half,the male one's which are metal work fine.

Nimrod11

Thanks for the great post. I just had my Sunday ruined by a damn $10 part!!! Unbelievable how these little savings are irritating! I was way out in the middle of nowhere, no cell phone reception, on a dirt road through a national park. Fortunately a couple of friends on beemers towed me back to civilization.

I would certainly urge people to change theirs, if not already. It is not a question of if it will break, but when. The Quickcoupling guys are great and it is cheap to buy and ship. I only wish I had done this before. Just 6 months ago I replaced my fuel meter (yet another poor Tiger item, always breaks) and had the tank out. Could have been smart and changed back then.

By the way, not wishing to hijack this post, but any other tips of what always breaks on Tigers? What should I do before it breaks?

Thanks again!
John
----------
Tiger 2004

EvilBetty

Glad it helped.  I did mine when I was changing the fuel sender and air filter.  Don't regret it.

There really are not any other (this WILL break) parts on a Tiger, but it might be a topic for another thread if you want to start one.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Just to throw my 2 cents in. Fortunately mine broke in the garage while doing a valve check. Would have been really pissed if I was out by Chicken or some place in the middle of nowhere up here.

Only problem I had was that I bunged up the thread a little on the tank plate getting the broken fitting out, tried to find a BSTP tap, nowhere to be found up here. Fourtunately was able to clean up the thread without a tap.  

wonder how long Triumph these plastic pos fittings, 05 only ?

Nimrod11

My parts arrived today, have been installed and all is well. I ordered as per EvilBetty's first post and all work well.

I also had the same doubt about tightening, as the part doesn't go all the way in and it's hard to know when to stop. Anyway, I used just one wrap of teflon and it's perfect.

Thanks guys again!
----------
Tiger 2004