News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Now to put it all back together

Started by Madruss, June 06, 2021, 04:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madruss

Thanks for the good wishes  :icon_salut:  :wave 
I'm on the mend after multiple physio & acupuncture visits although any sudden "jarring" on a rough road or hitting hidden stumps or big rocks at work (I operate a road grader for our local council doing the unmaintained tracks/roads) leave me gritting my teeth.
We're in our Aussie winter here (more like your autumn:icon_smile:) so I'm in no panic to put the tiger back on the road till October.
I should be physically "together" by then, raring to go.  :thumbsup
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

Madruss

Well October is nearly done.
Getting motivated to pull both Tigers out of the little shed.
I'm back on track physically but still carrying too many kgs  :icon_redface:
Changing jobs in a week or too, so will really want to see the bike come out of hibernation, before I head away till Christmas.
Regards Russ

Beernard

Good on ya, Russ. Injuries are the bane of our existence, but if you are good to go, then go!!
All the best.
Ripper, woke up again.

Madruss

I pulled the pin on Friday, a week earlier than I had notified work, using some personal leave etc so as not to prolong the agony.
Two years of working a large government entity with words of respect, teamwork, accountability were making me sick. What an absolute load of :Topes
Time to restart some projects 
Another automotive project I've been trying to complete had a minor setback after lunch, so I decided to clear the way to extract the calypso tiger from its winter confines catch some sunshine, from behind various garden implements  :icon_neutral:
After the sweep out around the black tiger & some repositioning to the centre of my massive structure  :icon_rolleyes: the first task was to attach the shite flap (sent all the way from Scotland) thanks Niall  :occasion14

Regards Russ

Madruss

Back to why I started this job, straightened this brake lever :icon_confused:
Regards Russ

Madruss

Refitted the fairing & fuel tank today
Thought I better bleed the clutch but the top of the master cylinder doesn't want to "come to the party"  :cp & come off.
I remember some months ago I had a similar issue with the brake master cylinder. Differing metal corrosion from what an aircraft engineer mate told me of. Steel & aluminium in close proximity  :BangHead
Found a replacement clutch master cylinder some time ago, on special on "fleabuy" so it'll probably be pressed into service soon.   
Regards Russ

Madruss

Forgot how "battle scarred" this old moggie is.
Being owner number 5, she's probably used a few of her 9 lives to date  ;) 
Regards Russ

Madruss

Well, I didn't need to swap out the clutch master cylinder (MC). I located my trusty impact screwdrivers' small phillips head tip.
I had to tighten up the MC on the bars for the operation. Success  :nod the screws departed their home.
The clutch bled through well, with a big air pocket in the bleed tube & all's well in that department.  :thumbsup
With the battery connected, idiot lights illuminating but the brake light was on! (forgot how bright 2 bulbs in there can be)
Played with some connections & rear switch but still on.
Fuel on, fuel filter full, clutch in, along with a fully charged new battery, choke on.
Wind wind wind wind (or for our American bretheren crank crank crank) :icon_redface: 

Take 2, this morning, removed the right side carby bowl screw, yes fuel & replaced. Then removed the fuel hose off the tank & blew fuel into the system.
Fired up but stopped. :BangHead
Repeated the procedure, success :icon_mrgreen:  of sorts, ran 60 seconds or so!
There must be some blockage  :^_^ 
Regards Russ

Madruss

Success  :friday Removed the 300mm long fuel line off along with fuel filter I was trialing (was going to shorten the hose to fit) & it goes  The brake light staying was just a bad sensor on the rear, easily replaced with one from the Calypso bike  :thumbsup   
Regards Russ

Madruss

:occasion14 first ride in nearly 3 years :wings
Still adjustments to do but it's rideable. On the test ride I remembered how low the seat is. The "Coleman comfort seat" cover will be reattached along with the "airhawk" inflatable cushion to restore some riding height.
The seat from the Calypso tiger is all marked out to change it's "low rider" profile to a DR 650 profile but not as hard as a surfboard.
Regards Russ

Beernard

Great work, Russ! :><

I can report that some years ago I replaced the MC cover screws with stainless allen heads and "reasonably" regularly turn them out and in. So far, so good!

Good to see the cat on the road.

Regards, Bern.

Ripper, woke up again.

Madruss

Thanks Bern. I'll keep that in mind.
Gave the little shed a good clean up after the big cat was evicted.! She took up so much real estate for too long, then once Calypso moved in, well! [attach id=19150]
So, this looks like the end of this post, at last.
The little XR100R has had a full engine rebuild, just requires a carby. A 1988 model for my youngest son. He's an '88 model himself.
Thanks to everyone's enthusiasm & assistance on here, especially Sin Tiger (Niall) who without it, I may have thrown in the towel. Cheers 
Regards Russ

ssevy

Those master cylinder screws were "JIS", not Phillips, at least on my '95. On my bike, they had a dot stamped next to them. I use a Vessel "JIS" screwdriver, and it works really well, I have used some grinding compound dabbed on the end to help increase purchase on the screw; a couple of raps with a hammer to seat the driver or bit helps, too. Prior to discovering they were JIS and not Phillips, I had to drill out a few, and I used a left hand drill which spun them out or broke the heads off, which was where they had galled. The remaining threaded portion just came out with my fingers. A rub of never seize just on the shoulder area of the screw is good insurance against future galling. I usually replace my brake fluid at least every other season, and so far the screws have been fine now that I have the never seize on them.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Madruss

Quote from: ssevy on November 10, 2023, 11:26:50 PMThose master cylinder screws were "JIS", not Phillips, at least on my '95. On my bike, they had a dot stamped next to them.
Well I've learned something new.
Luckily stars must have aligned as to making this a minor job.
Regards Russ

93TigerBill-2016

Agreed on the JIS screws, and the 'Vessel' driver.  I have one which includes an Impact function - works a treat!  I also used 'never-seize' on all screws/bolt threads.  It may go some way to alleviating the electrolysis issue as well?

Good the see the Black Tig operational!!
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911