News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Avon sidecar tire

Started by Mustang, November 05, 2013, 01:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Solved the tire wear issue on the rear with a car tire .
The front tire is the new battleground now .
any of the dual sport tires just chewed right off in no time .
wicked cupping no matter what pressure they were at as well as the centers going bald .
the bike has rebuilt front forks from Traxxion Dynamics with cartridge emulators . It's not a suspension issue , it's a sidecar thing .
best tire so far has been a cheap ass cheng shin clone of a metzler me-88 .
cheng shin doesn't make them anymore though  :icon_sad:
they still suffered from the center wearing out though .

This is the Avon , hopefully it will last a while . only have about 400 or so miles on it so too soon to tell , but it does look promising . still looks like the day it got mounted .
added benefit was it got rid of the wig wag at 30 mph that most sidecar rigs suffer from .

old school baby !

Bixxer Bob

That's like I remember on my granddad's old 650cc BSA outfit  :icon_biggrin:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Tripodtiger

Try an Avon Speedmaster MkII (rear).  You'll possibly get similar mileage but it should hang on a bit better.  Of course, I don't use teleforks.
I always found the Sidecar Triple Duty seemed to never wear out.
Didn't provide a lot of grip, either.
cheers
rayb
'73 RD250, '80 XS11, '81 RD350LC,
'96 Steamer - 'Tiger Trek' outfit.
'02 Girly - 'Envy'
"Faster Daddy, Faster!" (aged 7?)

Henry James

Avon tire details?  What size, where did you purchase it, etc.
Thanks,
John

Mustang

it only comes in 1 size . 3.50 x19 its speed rated to 75 mph but I've done 85 sustained for few hours straight on interstate no problem .
sky didn't fall & didn't burst into flames.  :thumbsup

I got it from Amazon for best price but it came from Chapparral .
Several places online sell it but the price is anywhere fom 110 to 175 depending where you get it ..........Amazon was best price . :bad

Henry James

Thanks,
Sorry, but I got fitated on the wear thing and was thinking of my 17" rear on my Tiger.  So, where do I find the rear tire that I chew up on a regular basis.
John

Mustang

get a trophy rim and mount one of these bad boys up and say goodbye to tire wear .

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13120.0.html

Henry James

Mustang

no idea...................recommended rim width is a bit narrower than what a steamer rim is .
other than that you would have to try it and see .
all I know is my rear car tire has outlasted 2 bike tires already and doesn't even look worn . :love10