News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tex original rear shock 2014

Started by BIG BILL, February 15, 2020, 10:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG BILL

Hi
Anyone on here know if the stock shock can be rebuilt/fixed.
The damping broke and I replaced it with a hyperpro unit (very good) the old unit is sitting in the hyperpro box looking asnew,, shame to just throw it out.

Cheers BB
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing (Barry Sheene) Silver 2004 tiger

DBM

I wanted to update this thread. I have the same bike, and my shock is at the shop as we speak. I have spoken with a few different suspension shops over the last week, and this shock is fully serviceable/rebuildable. The piston and valve stacks are standard 50mm KYB internals. My shock has lost all of the rebound damping, and needed some TLC. I went with a local Race Tech shop.
2014 TEX Mean Green

Sin_Tiger

:thumbsup  useful info, will be interested to hear how it performs after a rebuild  :new_popcornsmiley
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

DBM

Update. Got the shock back from the shop and installed. The technician told me that the original factory nitrogen charge had dropped too low causing an air pocket in the shock body. Had the valving updated to my weight and riding style. Feels great on the road so far, I will go off road this Sunday. I'm currently running 4 clicks out from full stiff on spring preload, and 12 clicks out on the revalved rebound stack. I will post detailed pictures and ride report next week. 
2014 TEX Mean Green

DBM

2014 TEX Mean Green

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Madruss

Nice to see the stripped out parts photo  :thumbsup
Wonder if the version on the Steamer is fully rebuildable  :^_^ 
Decent aftermarket parts here in Australia, usually attracts an exorbitant "covid tax"
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

London_Phil

Steamer one can be stripped and rebuilt. I did mine and it was not too bad.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on October 16, 2022, 08:31:14 PMSteamer one can be stripped and rebuilt. I did mine and it was not too bad.

:thumbsup  Feels like a new one after new seals (KYB 44/16 kit), fresh oil and a recharge with 10 bar of N2. The one thing I could not source was a replacement bump stop rubber, fortunately someone kindly 3D printed one with shore 40 filament to the dimensions of the broken bits and it works a treat.

DBM

My bike feels much more planted on both street and off road. I'm running full stiff spring preload front and rear with slow rebound on the revalved shock. The forks feel great, just need new fluid. Needle bearings looked like new. Let's ride
2014 TEX Mean Green