News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Installing Metal Fuel Fittings

Started by EvilBetty, February 20, 2009, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespipers

You can go to an fitting website, they can give you some instruction on putting your fittings. I've done that part of my fittings, and I found it really hard to me.

EvilBetty

:? Huh?  And Welcome to Tiger Triple.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

oradbaforpsoft

Quote from: "jamespipers"You can go to an fitting website, they can give you some instruction on putting your fittings. I've done that part of my fittings, and I found it really hard to me.

that's what she said
Dave in KCMO: 2003 Tiger 955i - Lucifer Orange

SHROPSHIRELAD

Took my tiger in for a service in July but have only noticed the other day after taking a panel off the dealer has removed my male metal fuel fittings which I put on and fitted the Triumph ones under the recall which which the 955i had.  I think they were only trying help put you would think the mechanic would of seen they were not plastic and did not need changing as the old ones were not cheap.

iansoady

I have long since ceased to be surprsed by the ineptitude of some "professional" mechanics.

There are of course some others who are superb. The trick is telling which is which.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

EvilBetty

Quote from: "SHROPSHIRELAD"Took my tiger in for a service in July but have only noticed the other day after taking a panel off the dealer has removed my male metal fuel fittings which I put on and fitted the Triumph ones under the recall which which the 955i had.  I think they were only trying help put you would think the mechanic would of seen they were not plastic and did not need changing as the old ones were not cheap.

Nice... at the very least he should have known they were not OEM and the take off's should have been returned to the owner.

haroldo_psf

Funny this thread came up just now. I noticed a puddle of gas this weekend, and saw that it was leaking from the plastic fitting on the left side of the panel. There was a recall done on the bike, but only one of them got changed I guess.
Anyway, I tried to unscrew the the thing out with a 19mm socket, but the dam thing snapped off!

I used an Easy Out thing and it came right off. It didn't seem like I damaged the threads.

I immediatelly came to this thread and ordered the exact same parts as EvilBetty (are you a girl or is it your bike's name, anyway?). So, thank you for this write up, again.

The pieces and bits on your pictures look the same as in my 2000 885i, so I'm hopefull everything will fit. The new fittings arrived today, via UPS Red.
2000 Tiger 885i

EvilBetty

Right like a girl could have ever figured that all out and posted a logical how to on the matter.  KIDDING!  :lol:

No... I'm just not very original and stole the name from a crappy movie I saw a few years ago...

EvilBetty:  Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (2002)

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "EvilBetty".....  Right like a girl could have ever figured that all out and posted a logical how to on the matter.  KIDDING!  :lol:

I know! that's what I thought, but I had to ask!  :D

When I tried the fittings, the 1/4 inch one was too small for eitgher hose. So I only did the top one (the one with the white plastic receptacle that you hold in your hands in your how to). I have another 3/8 coming in the mail. Thanks for the tip with the plastic bag while disassembling the fitting. Yep, the bits and pieces WILL fly into oblivion.
2000 Tiger 885i

blacktiger

Had the recall, so the metal bits are fine, but both tank-side parts are broken off. Luckily (?) it was in the garage and not on the side of the road like LAST TIME!. After dealing with a butt-load of spilled gas in my drive way, I got the holes plugged but now my bike is effectively dead until I get new connectors.

So, I see much useful info regarding the parts I need to buy to replace the failed connectors, but I have a rather more fundamental problem that needs to be addressed first.

How the heck do I remove the broken parts that are still in the tank?

Someone mentioned an "easy-out" which was my first thought.
Any size in particular?

Any bits of advice (other than tow it to the dealer) would be greatly appreciated!
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

EvilBetty

I have never had that particular problem but many here have, and there have been several posts on the issue.

My only warning would be, be careful.  These are tapered threads.

Chris Canning

As said, do a search,there are more ways of getting them out than days in week.

Had trouble getting mine out with an easy out, they were very brittle, ended up grinding them out with a dremel and a small wheel. I was very careful not to damage the threads which was a good thing because the thread is a British pipe thread, a tap for that size and thread was not to be found in Anchorage, would have had to order one on the net from GBR.

Bixxer Bob

Got any pics of your Tiger out and about in Anchorage Fishbone? I always wondered about Anchorage since the song by Michelle Shocked made it famous....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

I loved Anchorage! Got a t shirt from the triumph dealer, and some rear pads  8)
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting