News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sensitive subject, who runs a chain oiler and which one

Started by dino246, August 22, 2014, 04:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dino246

I have been using a spray lube for my tiger since I got it and although I got reasonable life out of the last D.I.D chain I am lazy and am looking for an automatic chain oiler. I have read of some riders getting over 30k miles on a chain with an oiler ans in some instances even more mileage.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Sin_Tiger

Used the Scottoiler V on several bikes, simple and works well with minimal attach to,  the E system is also good but not sure about the longevity yet. Only fitted one manual TuToRo worked OK fiddly every time you start or stop,  no experience of the auto one yet but it gets good reviews.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

vince

used the scot oiler on my old 2005 tiger with the hcr behind the number plate
worked well and the chain showed no signs of wear at 17000 miles when I sold it

now fitted one on the tiger 800 road behind the number plate
also fitted the triumph extended rear mud guard to help with the weight
800 photo only sorry

what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

nigeh

When I got my 2005 Tiger back in 2007 it had the 'touring' scotoiler fitted with the master oil chamber behind the number plate.

I had some issues with the tickover on it as there was a leak at the 'T' piece which Triumph sorted out and I used it for about 24,000 miles until I got hacked off with it as it was the 'single' feed to the chain and it kept clogging up and had other issues so I ripped the lot off and threw it away!!  I did get 21,000 miles out of the chain.

In some ways I would like another as less hassle and the oil they use comes off the wheel much easier than any of the spray lubes but if I can find a decent, clear spray lube that would be the way to go for me.
who needs four cylinders??

www.maisonlaudiere.com

JTT

I have a Hawke oiler on mine.  It works great.  Originally mounted the bottle on left side above the rear footpeg.  With new Wilbers, the remote preload adjuster is not mounted there and I put the bottle in the space under the seat where the stock adjuster was.  Although I don't think the hawke is available anymore, it works a treat.  It's a manual oiler, not automatic, but activated with a little button.  Simple and effective.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

daveb

got a scottoiler with HCR behind the number plate. had a problem when I forgot to check the level in the HRC had to re-prime the system.

but all is good. had one fitted to my previous bike.

Bixxer Bob

Regarding priming of the touring reservoir for Scottoiler,  do NOT try to force the oil through to the main metering unit by pressurising the reservoir,  I did and blew the transparent window out. oil everywhere and, due to the aforesaid oil, almost impossible to glue back successfully.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

madcow

Has anyone used the OSCO chain oiler I think I would get one of those if there was someplace to get one in the US.
FARMING IN IOWA OUTSTANDING IN MY FIELD

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 22, 2014, 08:39:46 PM
Regarding priming of the touring reservoir for Scottoiler,  do NOT try to force the oil through to the main metering unit by pressurising the reservoir,  I did and blew the transparent window out. oil everywhere and, due to the aforesaid oil, almost impossible to glue back successfully.

If you just blow into the vent with the engine running to open the valve (with your mouth  :augie) that will prime it within a minute. Even I can manage that  :pimp
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint