News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Everything Else For Sale / Re: Tiger 955i Panniers (Lucif...
Last post by oradbaforpsoft - July 21, 2024, 01:33:30 AM
Still for sale
Steamers (1993-1998 Tigers) / Re: 1996 Tiger Puzzle
Last post by Lee337 - July 13, 2024, 05:23:36 PM
If you have the engine number, Triumph may be able to tell you what the engine was from.

Allthe best with your project, keep us updated.
Girly Talk (1999 - 2006 Tigers) / Re: Tallulah's Diary
Last post by Lee337 - July 13, 2024, 05:16:41 PM
Some may be surprised to hear Tallulah is still in the garage unsold after being on eBay at a buy it now of £1700. It seems she doesn't want to leave me!

Well, as she has an MOT, I've now also taxed her & took her for a ride earlier this month. She's certainly a different experience than Talyn J (the 800xc). One thing I did notice immediately was how agricultural the gearbox is, not helped by a stiff clutch, the last service being in May 2022 and 1,700 miles, nearly all of that done priopr to November 2022 when I bought Talyn J. Over 18 months tucked away in the back of the garage has done her no favours. Easy to get into 1st, 2nd was a bit clunky & finding neutral was about as easy as finding your zipper when you're bursting. You even had that kind of awkward shuffling although instead of left/right/left as you face the porcelain it was 1st/2nd/1st as you face the garage door (except you can switch the bike off, not your bladder).

So, on the bench she goes, an oil & filter change kicked off proceedings. I also decided to replace the clutch cable. I didn't think the old (Slinky Glide) cable was that bad until I removed it. While it wasn't seized, it was a bit like pulling a tricycle across sand, with a sumo wrestler sitting on it. Not impossible, but not something you'd want to do. 955i clutches are not the best anyway, so I thought a new cable would aty least ease the strain on my left hand - it did.

While I had the tank off, I gave everything as ggod clean & check over, including the IACV hoses, air filter, fuel hose and all the electrical connections. All good there. So having checked, fettled and replaced stuff, Tallulah got an full service and is, ready for the road.

Finally back together again, with fresh oil, I set off up the road. I managed to get a good 100m before I had to stop & adjusty the clutch, but with a litttle tweaking over a 15 mile ride, all was well.

I'd forgotten how much fun the 955i can be. Still think she's a tractor compared to the 800xc (who I took out to get some fuel & found myself going the long way to the local fuel station) and I doubt very much I'll be doing the miles I do with Talyn J, but I'm in no real hurry to sell her at the moment. I might even keep her for winter riding and put both Talyn J and Tabitha Trophy to bed for the winter.   :wheel

Talking of Tabitha Trophy, she's next on the bench. She's overdue an oil change and has her MOT in a few weeks. I also noticed she's popping & banging far more when I shut the throttle off than she used to. When I had her on the Dyno a few years ago, the tech said a couple of the o rings on the carbs were on their way out. Might have to replace them over next winter, assuming I get Daysie's electrics sorted.

So many bikes, so little time...
Steamers (1993-1998 Tigers) / Re: 1996 Tiger Puzzle
Last post by Beernard - July 08, 2024, 10:55:45 AM
Nice save! Does the engine number shed any light? If so, I suppose you could bring it back to standard, if it has been modified in the past.
Sounds like an interesting project. All the best.
Steamers (1993-1998 Tigers) / 1996 Tiger Puzzle
Last post by CheeZmaster - July 07, 2024, 02:21:22 AM
Hi all,

I saved a Tiger from the salvage yard in Switzerland two weeks ago and I want to get it back on the streets again.

The big end bearing of the connecting rod of the 3rd cylinder is seized and I want to overhaul the motor completely.

Some issues turned up while disassembling the motor:
The camshafts are yellowish/brownish colour coded and the housings are from 1993. From the colour coding of the cams, they are not from a Tiger motor as far as I understood.

Can and one enlighten me what motor is in that bike?

Thanks in advance for any hints. I don't want to buy the wrong parts for the overhaul.
Girly Talk (1999 - 2006 Tigers) / Re: Surging at 3-4k RPM
Last post by the slow heart - July 06, 2024, 09:31:44 PM
Quote from: London_Phil on July 04, 2024, 10:43:04 PMHonestly cant se any of those...well maybe fuel pressure, but the cps generally will cause it to cut out, and coils will run rough rather than surge imho.

You are probably right, but since no better idea is coming, we have to just check the boxes remaining.
Vacuum leak may interfere with the pressure sensor/ IACV to cause surging,
but backfire has to be ignition/ timing related.
Last post by the slow heart - July 06, 2024, 09:24:04 PM
We have problems ... and this is not going to change,
then lets acknowledge the progress, to keep the faith -
well done compression testing, no mechanically caused leaks at number two.

ECU and coils are quite tricky to diagnose in home environment,
but you could swap items guessing. Can you get other ECU module, proven as operational?
Same for the ignition coils, you need friend with our bike model.
Would join the fighting alliance, but I am damn too eastward, mate  :icon_scratch:
Bikes for Sale / Re: FS 2001 Triumph Tiger 955i...
Last post by Zsolt - July 06, 2024, 08:57:02 PM
Happy long 4th of July weekend for those of you had had Friday off.
Last post by London_Phil - July 04, 2024, 10:43:04 PM
Honestly cant se any of those...well maybe fuel pressure, but the cps generally will cause it to cut out, and coils will run rough rather than surge imho.
Last post by Flyingwombat - July 04, 2024, 09:34:37 PM
So went on Reddit and was given a list:

- Relays
- Ignition coils
- Crank position sensor