News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New tyre, new tube?

Started by London_Phil, December 29, 2021, 08:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Treating myself to a new rear tyre for my Christmas Prezzy. Ordered a Michelin Anakee Adventure, so my Pavement Princess can look a bit more like Ivor's with his proper  Knobblies....
As I still have what could be the oem Metzeler, I should change the tube. Any suggestions on brand?, should I bother?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on December 29, 2021, 08:54:05 PM
.... As I still have what could be the oem Metzeler, I should change the tube. Any suggestions on brand?, should I bother?

Can't remember when I last bought a tube  :icon_scratch: I may even have a couple still in wrappers. It's probably a worthwhile investment but as for brand  :^_^ Personally I've always bought the bigger names like Michelin (Butyl) or Conti, rational being even though they are double the price of others, £7-£8 doesn't seem like a lot when you're waiting on a tow truck or wrestling to get a stiff tyre back on the rim without nipping the tube. Also the last ones I bought, I seem to remember they came with new rim/spoke tape, the alternative I was offered didn't.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

blacktiger

My rule of thumb is to replace the tube every second tyre. They do wear by rubbing on the inside of the tyre.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Nick Calne

You can get ultra heavy duty tubes if you fancy going 'belt and braces'.  4mm thick walls!  I use these on my AT as it protects against pinch flats off-road, of which I had a couple before learning my lesson.  Standard ones on my road only tiger though.

When I carry spares it is the standard sort as they are quite remarkably much smaller to pack.

Like Sin I use Michelin tubes on the assumption they are a good quality.  It would be hard to evaluate whether they are substantially better or not as it is not something you can see in action or so often you could make a judgment.

Are you changing the tyre at home? Just out of interest how are you going to balance the wheel?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

Thanks Guys.
@Nick. I read that the heavy duty tubes are generate more heat at high speed, so will stick with standard. Probably a Michelin or Conti.
Although I changed the Harley tyres, I think I will find a local fitter, and take the wheel to them. The Harley will do about 40mph, and at that speed, the wheel shake is the least of my concern....
I bought from Two Tyres, who have a fitting shop in SW London, so a day out probably.
I would prefer the type of weights that clamp around the spoke, not the ones that stick to the rim, as the aesthetic annoys me....

ghulst

Just to chime in too late, but I would replace the tubes as well. ;) As you are in there, there is no reason not to spend the extra couple of quid to get some nice and un-worn rubber in there. And I usually choose brand names as well.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

London_Phil

Yep, will get a new tube. Metzeler is not bald, but will be replaced sooner rather than later. I had the opportunity to get a Xmas present for myself, on behalf of my kids, and the Michelin just came into stock, so I grabbed one.

Nick Calne

Is there some sort of tyre shortage going on? I have been waiting a month for a mitas e07 from.my local supplier.

London_Phil

Quote from: Nick Calne on December 31, 2021, 07:41:55 PM
Is there some sort of tyre shortage going on? I have been waiting a month for a mitas e07 from.my local supplier.

Well Guv, since we showed them Europeans what for.....we seem to wait longer, and pay more for stuff....who knew?.....

blacktiger

Quote from: Nick Calne on December 31, 2021, 07:41:55 PM

I get mine from https://www.tyreleader.ie/motorbike-tyres/mitas/e-07-plus/150-70-b17-69t-1037674
Delivered to my door by DPD. They do seem to have gone up in price somewhat. The last one was about £80 for a rear.

Nick Calne

You have gone for the e07+ rather than the standard, H?

Phil, yeah but we now have blue passports and have irritated the French and Germans considerably. What is not to like?

blacktiger

Quote from: Nick Calne on December 31, 2021, 11:50:34 PM
You have gone for the e07+ rather than the standard, H?

No. The + has come out since I last bought one. I don't know the difference TBH. Except £50 it seems. I just used that one to show where I get them from.

London_Phil

ghulst

Looks like those are ready to be worn in/out! ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

London_Phil

New one on left. Old one still on bike has tread, but is at least 6 years old, and flat from motorway, so only the rear to replace. Have an Anakee 3 on the front, and its in good nick. I have no problem with mix n match