News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

triumph v harley

Started by rybes, August 05, 2011, 03:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Nick Calne

That about covers it.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

topher0268

ROFL!!!!!

Went cycle camping / fishing / canoeing last weekend with my 13 year old son, my boss, and his 12 year old son. He rides a Softail Heritage Classic.

Anyway on day two we were riding back to camp and I heard those big ole loud pipes bark in front of me and he started to pull away (clearly dropping the hammer). My son tapped me on the shoulder and I knew it was time ... we shot by him on that 885i like he wasn't moving ... and we were only in 3rd gear when we shot by ....

Classic fun  :wink:
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

smoketriples

Oke, true story lads and lasses.

I traded my 07 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic in and got this 00 Tiger.  

I'd been on sport or sport tour since I was 17, I'm 52.....bought that Harley less than a year ago cuz I was feelin like an old geezer and wanted that big comfy bike with all the toys (ya know, cruise, million function entertainment system and cb, yadda da yadda da yadaa).

I walked away with the 00 Tiger, 11k to the good on the money side, and absolutely love this thing for all the reasons that cartoon says...:)....AND my balls are growing back!!!

-e
\'00 Girly
\'86 Honda CMX250D
\'82 Honda MB5
\'80 Honda CM400
\'79 Yam IT175
\'74 suzi gt750
\'74 suzi gt750 cafe

deepsouthtiger

I have been riding for 32 years.(almost every brand) ALWAYS wanted a Harley, but till the mid 90's couldn't afford/justify the price.  
When I did finally get one the honeymoon was over after the first week. I will refrain from the vulgarity and direct insults on Harley, and just say it was the biggest P.O.S. I EVER owned, unreliable, heavy, underpowered antiquated and hugely hugely OVERPRICED.
Been riding Triumphs (Speed Triples, Sprints and Tigers) since 2000 and frankly I see no reason to ever get rid of my Tiger. it is 1,000 % better in every way than anything Harley produces.
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

cosmo

I was able to buy my first new Harley in 1987. FLHS semi-dresser (screen and bags, no fairing or top box.).
Rode that bike 32,000 miles in two years, whereupon I sold it. Didn't want to ride that thing another mile.

Then the interesting calls came:
How many times has it been rebuilt??  (!!)
Why do you have blackwall tyres on it?? (Pirelli) I'll have to swop to whitewalls.
And other queries along those lines.

What this said to me was that the Harley faithful do not believe their bikes are reliable, either!!

Fine state of affairs for something that (now) costs over $20,000 USD.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

smoketriples

Mine was completely reliable.  I bought the used 07 in june 2010, ran it up to 53k miles.  Not a single issue.  It was just too heavy, too vibraty, and lousy fuel economy.  Out on the highway, I loved it, but I don't ride much highway.

Now a friend bought a new 2010 the next day.  Was in the shop for no start condition 4 times in the first 2k miles.

OTOH, my first triumph was a new 06 sprint 1050 and it down for repair about once every month....electrical gremlins causing a no start.  After 6k miles and several strandings I sold that POS at a huge loss.

Even good marques make a bad one every once in a while.  

IF money was no object I'd have kept that Harley as a garage queen and show bike.  It was a U.S. Navy edition and just plain beautiful.  I can't afford to do that :)
\'00 Girly
\'86 Honda CMX250D
\'82 Honda MB5
\'80 Honda CM400
\'79 Yam IT175
\'74 suzi gt750
\'74 suzi gt750 cafe

chairhead

Not a Tiger but good to watch,with this level of skill i think he could do it on most bikes
http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=29118
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Nick Calne

Amazing! It didn't break down.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

PeteH

See where he`s looking.....where he wants the bike to go 8)
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "smoketriples"Mine was completely reliable.  I bought the used 07 in june 2010, ran it up to 53k miles.  Not a single issue.

Harleys can be very, very reliable. I do, however, believe they have a higher lemon ratio than other marques. For instance, I own a Buell that I would refer to as "ill-fated": total transmission failure @8000 miles. I don't think this is a Buell problem, though: the design of the transmission is fundamentally poor. Buell had to take what they could get.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.