News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

......HORROR....THE HORROR.....

Started by MtheTiger, August 15, 2011, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtheTiger

Yesterday I came home after a short trip on and off highway and I noticed some oil on the side and under the sump.

As an oil change was due anyway in preparation of my 2K vacationtrip to Germany I decided to do the oil change right away.

After removing the sump plug and filterunit only about half a litre of oil came out  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: WTF

The bike showed no signs whatsoever of this when I came home....no oil pressure warning lights or strange sounds or whatever. No damage or cracks in the sump. Apparently the oring let go?

I put in a fresh filter, new orings and 4 liter of 10W40 rightaway and let it idle for 2 minutes...no problems...all fine....no leaks.

What do you reckon....are my bearings fubar now?
Is there anyway of checking this without splitting the case?

I didn't have the time to ride on it yesterday. I'm planning to do a careful short trip tonite.

Any advice lads?

WARNING:
A steamer will run almost without oil and she will not tell ya.

I used to check my levels regularly but not everyday...NOW I WILL !
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Lasboss

Check the bowl screws - are often too poorly bolted and oil can leak

Mustang

is it making any strange new sounds ?
if not I would,nt worry about it .
you probably were still pumping oil to the bearings .
if no new noises like a rod knock you obviously caught it in time ....had you have lost all the oil you would have heard #3 go bang first  :shock:

MtheTiger

Quoteis it making any strange new sounds ?

yesterday when I let it idle there were no new sounds...all fine.

Tonite I will do a short trip with the new oil and I will monitor this carefully.......hopefully I was just in time.

97 Caspian blue

rybes

like mustang says. if its not makin any new noises itll be fine. i once had a boss start up a car to show a new customer it works and how it sounds. thing is, he told me to do an oil change on it and he hadnt realised that the sump plug was sittin on the bench.  :shock: once it was filled up with oil tho, you wouldnt have known.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

97tiger885

Quote from: "MtheTiger"no oil pressure warning lights

My experience with the oil pressure light has been similar.  I have done some oil changes and drained way too little oil...not even any flickering of the oil pressure light as a warning ever.

Quote from: "Lasboss"Check the bowl screws - are often too poorly bolted and oil can leak

What are the bowl screws?

Nick Calne

Yeah, what's a bowl screw..
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

smoketriples

No oil pressure light was likely because it alarms on pressure, not oil level.  Even though you were very low, the pump was apparently not sucking air so you didn't lose pressure.

Good news is....that almost always means the engine is fine.  Unless of course you have a dodgy pressure switch javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')
\'00 Girly
\'86 Honda CMX250D
\'82 Honda MB5
\'80 Honda CM400
\'79 Yam IT175
\'74 suzi gt750
\'74 suzi gt750 cafe

wakdady

yeah, what is a bowl screw!?! mine leaks from what appears to be the drain plug, but i cant tell.

a few years ago i blew an engine because the same thing had happened. i had no idea the oil was gone. it was like it just disappeared. but the noises it made were horrible!

Lasboss

excuse me, to blame my poor english ... it was obviously screws  the sump

Nick Calne

No worries Lasboss  (You should see how bad the rest of us are at Polish.)

I just thought we were going to learn something new!  8)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

MtheTiger

Well, here's an update

Rode the missus this evening beginning nice 'n slow and ending hard & fast  :wink:

No weird new sounds and she rides as usual.... she sounds a bit more agricultural than she used to above 4k revs and I can hear the valve train quietly ticking....never heard this before. But it could well be that I'm way to focussed right now on how she sounds :roll:

I have enough confidence in her to go ahaead with my trip next week.

Thx for all the help guys.

97 Caspian blue