News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Venom Cans and Mikuni carbs

Started by BruKen, April 15, 2011, 12:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

I have seen a few members who have put on Venom cans with Keihin carbs and had to sort out low end bogging by increasing pilot and main jet sizing (38 to 40 and 105 with a needle lift respectively)

Is this the same for Mikuni carbs and if so what jet sizes and other mods were required?

NeilD

mine, on Mikunis, runs fine without any adjustment.. well thats when it runs anyway..  :roll:   thats with both baffles in, pulls cleanly right through the rev range..

BruKen

Thank you

Out of interest is there any beneficial performance boosts, any negatives etc.

I repaired my OEM ones during the rebuild as a temporary measure. They still hold good but tbh I find that I cant hear any exhaust note while riding and have to look at the rev counter to confirm where I'm at. I do not want loud pipes (I can do without the earsplitting headaches the XT thumper gave me after a hour in the saddle) , just some feedback on what the engine is all doing.

NeilD

not ridden mine enough to get a feel if theres any performance gains, but they sound good - as I said I left the inner and outer baffles in place but still have a nice burble..
definately a weight saving -  i think the pair of silencers and link pipes weigh about 10kgs, compared to goodness knows what the stock set up come in at!
the shape of the link pipes are pretty good and fitting was ok once I'd slotted the pipe where it joins the original system.. I might have a look at slightly bigger spacers as the silencers are quite close to my numberplate..

BruKen

Thanks for the info  :D

rybes

since fittin sprint carbs on mine and openin up the second airbox inlet all i can say is  8)  it was never this quick. pulls like a train in any gear.  had Camilla on the back yesterday and didnt even notice her there performance wise. theres also a K&n and no baffles in the exhaust. dont think its too loud for long rides. then again i always wear earplugs. dont forget the great mpg around 45 with around 50-60kg over its weight limit :wink: cant wait to see how many it does with just me.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

BruKen

:lol:  Thats great, but even as she stands the Tiger can out perform my modest riding skills. I just want a bit of feedback.

BTW I know you wanted the cans with the carbon fibre endcaps. You know that its the same can and those endcaps are just add on extras right? you can buy them direct from Motad.  :wink:

BruKen

:lol:  Thats great, but even as she stands the Tiger can out perform my modest riding skills. I just want a bit of feedback.

BTW I know you wanted the cans with the carbon fibre endcaps. You know that its the same can and those endcaps are just add on extras right? you can buy them direct from Motad.  :wink:

rybes

really  :D  cheers bruken. may have to shoot on over to their website n have a look  8)
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

CoolHandLuke

+1 for using Sprint carbs and opening the second airbox chamber.

I run with BOS exhausts, though, and get about 52 - 55 MPG.

With myself (17 stone) and three laden givi boxes, I was reduced to 45 - 50 MPG.

MtheTiger

Mikuni carbs & BOS race exhausts (open)
Pilot 40
Main 128
Needle 3th from the top
Emulsion tube says 615
Both snorkels open of course 8)

Runs like a raped ape @ any revs (no bogging or dips), starts always in one go. Fuel consumption isn't the best though due to the big main jets.
About 1 liter to 15 km....don't know what this translates to in MPG.

Cheers

M
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

theclowncrusty

Hi, are the Sprint carbs different? Or can i get the sprint lets fitted to the tiger carbs? I am not looking for R1 performance, just a crisp throttle response through the rev range.
Also anywhere recommended online for the jets?

Crusty

Mustang