News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Can I run 55w aux lights w\out overloading elec system?

Started by mtrdrms, September 29, 2011, 10:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtrdrms

I currently have heated grips but I'm doing alot of night riding as the days are getting shorter.  I searched.  Also should I run to a hot line or right to the battery?  How many spare watts do I have?

Thanks

Andy
1999 Tiger (approx 53k miles)

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

Mustang

your system has a 28 amp alternator which equals 336 watts

your two headlights alone are drawing 110 watts on low beam
if you add two aux 55watt lights you are now using 220 watts out of 336 just to see
heated grips draw about 30 watts of power on average
now you are at 250 watts of power usage
your 1157 taillight buls draw 27 watts each
now you are at 304 watts
and don't forget you have a fuel pump that is drawing power as well as the ecu to feed , so you are pretty well using everything you got and then some

you can get away with it depending on circumstances , ie don't spend a lot of time at low rpm's with everything on sucking power . and maybe forgo the heated grips if you are running the lights .

high output led aux lights might be a better solution

KuzzinKenny

Hey mtrdrms !! have ya tryed uprated bulbs yet ?? more light for the same power !!

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/osram-s ... -744-p.asp

there are loads more options !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

mtrdrms

Thanks Mustang - good to know.

I have read alot KK and plan on some in conjunction with these.  The ones I bought are $20 walmart jobs but Ill post back on how they are.

Andy

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

Mustang

mtrdrms I edited my post with some wattage consumption for you to look at , go back and re read it , you will find it interesting

mtrdrms

Great information mustang.  I installed the lights and they are BRIGHT!  Not very directional and pointed as I would have liked - more like flood lights.  My manual says the alternator output is 40 amp which would be 480 watts?  Not sure but Ill post back after using them tomorrow.

Andy

-Robert Pirsig

Mustang

40 amp is good
steamers are only 28 amp alternators I assumed the 99 was the same