News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is engine light norm after bump start?

Started by Goodwinsplace, October 05, 2011, 10:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodwinsplace

Only had my Tiger a couple of weeks and have already had my first non-start morning.

Got two of my mates to give me a push and got her running.
Went for a ride after and with the both headlights on I was worried it was going to do the same if I stopped.

The engine light remained on for some time, at least 10 miles if not more. Is this due to the low juice or something else?
My personal journey on two wheels: MotorbikeTest.info Blog

Champy

I had to bump my Tiger after draining the battery through hazard light use after a mate had a spill.

The bike definitely does not like being bump started! Normally, the Engine Management light will come on, and in my case would not go out until I had made 3 cold starts. Another friend had the same issue after running low on oil on his Speed Triple - 3 cold starts required.

The good thing is, the bike ran fine (as it is a 'false' signal), and didn't have to crawl along at 50mph.....
You need to scare yourself at least once a day.

Bixxer Bob

Just to elaborate slightly for newbies, ECU lights the MIL light if it records a fault. If that fault is a one-off and doesn't re occur in the next three warm up cycles, it  clears the warning light. The low volts associated with the bump start would score as a fault.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...