News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Windscreen for my 95'

Started by TigerRon, January 08, 2012, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerRon

Has anybody tried making their own windscreen for the Steamer. My 95' has the tiny little factory peanut screen and it doesnt do anything for keeping the cold wind off of your body or buffeting your head. Since I bought it, Ive put about 600 miles on my 95' and  Ive built some new neck muscles,,lol.

Ive looked at a lot of the threads on this forum and didnt see anybody making their own. I have some 5/16" and 1/4" plexiglass that is quite flexible and was wondering how it would hold up??  I believe heating it would allow some bending, not sure how much.

Any ideas?? Mustang, this anything you've tried????

thanks ron :)
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

Mustang

not much on the cockpit fairing that is substantial enough to anchor a good size screen to.
I use a powerbronze screen that works really well to stop the buffeting around your head . doesn't do much for cold but like I said works great for buffeting .

97tiger885

Quote from: "TigerRon"Has anybody tried making their own windscreen for the Steamer.

Ive looked at a lot of the threads on this forum and didnt see anybody making their own. I have some 5/16" and 1/4" plexiglass that is quite flexible and was wondering how it would hold up??  I believe heating it would allow some bending, not sure how much.

thanks ron :)

I have. I had a  windscreen from the '70s designed for handlebar-mounting over a single headlight. I  cut off the bottom with a sabre saw. I made some crude brackets to keep the bottom of the screen off the cowl.  I attached the universal handlebar mounts  in the two holes at the top of the metal brackets  that provide internal support for the front crowl.  It is very crude but effective.  Anyone with skills and the proper equipment could do a very slick setup.  

The only difficult part is making mounting brackets  that reach from that internal support to the screen.

I have run thousands of miles with this.  I put it on because I prefer to run with the shield of my helmet up.  The stock screen throws insects directly into the helmet.  After getting stung several times, I put on the outside screen.

I can take some detailed photos if you would like.

TigerRon

Tiger, send me some closeup pics of your mounts,, this is what Im looking for. thanks ron
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

97steamer

El cheapo solution. A few quid at the local scrap yard, half hour with a dremel. It looks rubbish but boy does it work! As you get to around 50mph the wind pushes it back.

TigerRon

Hey 97steamer, not a bad windscreen. with a little work to put some brackets on it you might have something. Thanks for sharing.....
ron
1995 Triumph Tiger
1994 BMW K75S
1985 Honda XR350R
1992 Honda XR 600

fishnbiker

I have a Powerbronze like Mustang, but due to my height, there was a small amount of buffeting. It also interfered with a chin mounted video cam. After some measuring, I cut off the top 5" & got a clear shot for the camera, but found a bit more buffeting. Knowing many factory windshields have an air gap at the bottom, I ended up mounting the cut off portion in front, relieving all of the unstable air. Best yet set-up for me. Makes for some interesting comments too.

Regarding bending the Plexiglas, judicious use of a propane torch or heat gun waved over about 6~8" away works for me. The plastic needs to be heated to the point of uncomfortable to touch barehanded. I used a vise with the jaws wrapped in a rag to tweek the wanted shape. Many small adjustments are best, as it's often impossible to return from going too far.

My bottom shield is mounted with rubber plumber's washers between the screw head & the shield & the fairing to minimize vibration issues. Nylok nut just snug on the inside. Maybe easier to see on the red bike.

Most windshields are 1/8" as it's lighter, cheaper & easier to mold & fabricate.  Your 1/4" & 5/16" would be very difficult to manage. You might consider trying used screens from other models if available. Just hold them up to the fairing & visualize cuts & mounting points. A grease pencil & masking tape are indispensable tools. Cutting requires the plastic be protected with the original paper or masking tape. I used a Japanese furniture saw, thin blade & pull cutting action give better edges. PM me for more info on finishing if you decide to proceed.

Before the Powerbronze, I had a Secdem which was cracked in a gravel road get-off. It was cut down & remolded to fit on my R100Gs, the bottom now doubling as a headlight cover. The repaired crack was covered with reflective sign vinyl. Same air gap at the bottom keeps the ride smooth.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE