News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

pannier sizes

Started by rybes, December 26, 2011, 07:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

evenin everyone. im about to make meself some aluminum panniers for me tiger. whats a good size to make them without goin over the top ? the only thing i got to get a refernce for is some oxford lifetime panniers. id like larger than that but dont want it to get in the way of filterin and wing mirrors  :wink:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "rybes"evenin everyone. im about to make meself some aluminum panniers for me tiger. whats a good size to make them without goin over the top ? the only thing i got to get a refernce for is some oxford lifetime panniers. id like larger than that but dont want it to get in the way of filterin and wing mirrors  :wink:

I took a cross-continent tour with a pair of 36 liter givis. They were all I needed and more.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Timbox2

Quote from: "rybes"evenin everyone. im about to make meself some aluminum panniers for me tiger. whats a good size to make them without goin over the top ? the only thing i got to get a refernce for is some oxford lifetime panniers. id like larger than that but dont want it to get in the way of filterin and wing mirrors  :wink:

I found in the UK at least, that even the OE panniers hampered lots of filtering, cant see ally panniers being that different, spose its more difficult if you have a pillion, I just used Top Box, Tank Bag and a big roll bag on the pillion seat. But I know Chris Canning has traveled extensively with his other half and a pannier has never been near his bike, you just need to know how to pack apparently.
2016 Tiger Sport

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Timbox2"I found in the UK at least, that even the OE panniers hampered lots of filtering, cant see ally panniers being that different, spose its more difficult if you have a pillion, I just used Top Box, Tank Bag and a big roll bag on the pillion seat. But I know Chris Canning has traveled extensively with his other half and a pannier has never been near his bike, you just need to know how to pack apparently.

I've always found top boxes mess up the handling geometry enough for me that I avoid them. I have a tiny one I use for casual riding, but I never use them for serious long distance riding for this reason. Just my observations: YMMV.

rybes

its not so much for tourin, more bringin things from the uk to denmark. car spares etc.  things like that cost a fortune here. so a tank bag is out of the question as itll scratch me paint  :lol:  

whats 36 liters in height x width x length ?

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "rybes"whats 36 liters in height x width x length ?

Getting my tape measure. Will post in a few minutes.

rybes

nice one, cheers mate  8)

Colonel Nikolai

15" x 22" x 9"

or

381mm x 559mm x 229mm

is what I get.

Consider, however, the cases are not exactly rectangular. They look like so:

Colonel Nikolai

Here's one of my Triumphs with the givis on them.

rybes

nice one, cheers foir that colonel  :wink:  they look like they would be bout right for what im after. boxes aint gunna be a prob to make. the prob lies in makin some kinda frame so they can stay removable  :?