News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Crash On Non-Triumph Machine

Started by Colonel Nikolai, December 29, 2011, 06:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

I deserve it, I guess, because I was riding the Buell. Wiped out on several hundred 4" long screws :shock: in a curve near my house. Was like hitting rollers, bike flopped right out from under me. I did an admirable job of protecting the motorcycle with my body, however. The rear trellis came smashing on my foot. Nothing broken, just a lot of soft tissue damage. Now my foot looks zombie flesh.

Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Nick Calne

Gutting!  How's the bike doing?

Your foot looks like mine do after a taekwondo tournament!!  Soft shoes for a few days!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JetdocX

That sucks.  Hope the bike lives.
From parts unknown.

Chad

yeeeeeooow that looks sore :shock:
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

Colonel Nikolai

I'm supposed to be on crutches, but I'm hobbling around. Going to try and find a cane today if possible. Wish I could say this was from Kung Fu Fighting, nickcalne!

Damage to the bike: broke the shifter shaft knob off (already fixed that, though), roached the massive integrated frame puck (best farkle investment yet), slight scuff on the oil cooler scoop and the velocity scoop. Can be sanded out without much trouble.

The only nagging problem is I no longer seem to be able to get into neutral nor can I see the neutral indicator light up on the dashboard. My friend who came and road the bike home in 2nd gear for me said the neutral indicator light was stuck "on" the whole time. Doesn't do that now.  :icon_scratch

NZDeano

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"I'm supposed to be on crutches, but I'm hobbling around. Going to try and find a cane today if possible. Wish I could say this was from Kung Fu Fighting, nickcalne!

Damage to the bike: broke the shifter shaft knob off (already fixed that, though), roached the massive integrated frame puck (best farkle investment yet), slight scuff on the oil cooler scoop and the velocity scoop. Can be sanded out without much trouble.

The only nagging problem is I no longer seem to be able to get into neutral nor can I see the neutral indicator light up on the dashboard. My friend who came and road the bike home in 2nd gear for me said the neutral indicator light was stuck "on" the whole time. Doesn't do that now.  :icon_scratch

Imagine the damage to your gearbox shaft if that little piece of crap alloy shifter knob (that broke off) was actually made of something strong. The exactly same thing happened to my shifter. I fixed mine straight away as well. I wouldnt mind seeing how you actually fixed yours. There must be a heap of home fixed shifters out there eh! I was able to file the main shaft off flat and smooth, then drill it out and fit a bolt through with the rubber mounted and a dome nut locktighted on the end, it looks OK and seems to work. :oops:
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

zombie2

Heal up soon
That blows but always good to walk away to live another day.

Colonel Nikolai

Here's my fix. I did pretty much exactly what you said. Filed the jagged shank of the shifter knob down, drilled and tapped a hole for a 815 stainless hex-head button screw, spun that in, fitted a threaded nylon sleeve over the screw and topped it off with an 815 stainless acorn nut. $3.15

With regard to your concern about this one not snapping off under the same conditions, I drilled very close to the outside edge of the shifter, but hopefully not too close. I'm pretty sure it'll snap right off in a similar fall.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "zombie2"Heal up soon
That blows but always good to walk away to live another day.

Thanks zombie. Hope my zombie foot didn't make your mouth water too much.  :shock:  :ImaPoser

zombie2

rats now I'm starvin' man :ImaPoser  :lol:

KuzzinKenny

Hey Colonel Nikolai !! Ouch  :shock: hope ya heal soon, at least yer sence O humor is intact  :lol:

take care !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Ironhorse

I used a piece of fuel line to make a factory style shifter boot. I ground a series of groves around it and it look stock.

aeronca

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: wow,  hope all is well.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

HockleyBoy

Not a great end to the year for you, but like me you live to tell the tale and the bike seems fixable.

Hope that foot mends soon!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

cascadetiger

Good example of why we should always wear boots!  Glad your ok (mostly).  Even though its a mild winter so far, its a cold ride in December in Mpls!  I parked my Steamer and Buell after the 1st salt was applied to the roads.