News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Someone else's troubles.....

Started by TigerTastic, December 06, 2011, 02:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightrunner

So, taking a step back here, you are confident from reading the past posts on your bike that this is not just a leaking head gasket that you could just replace?  Yes its been done before but did they torque it up in the proper sequence?  Perhaps it was not torqued properly the first time, or they neglected the re-torque after a few hundred miles(?)   It just seems like you jumped straight to needing a new head or new motor pretty fast.  The first thing I would do would be grab a torque wrench and check the head bolts.  

And if its easy to remove the head, then its easy to haul it down to a shop and have it surfaced.  FWIW  Good luck.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

TigerTastic

Hey nightrunner

Thanks for your view.

You're right, the past history has coloured my judgement somewhat and it was after a few hundred miles that the OP's problem reappeared with no mention of a retorque. I'm in no hurry to spend loads of money at the moment after only just buying it so I'm going to take a little time to sort out a few minor niggles. Whilst doing these I'll check the torque on the head bolts.

If it transpires to be just a head gasket then happy days but TBH if I'm at a stage where the head gaskets off I'll probably get the head checked anyway. Neither gaskets or time are cheap enough to try just the gasket and hope there isn't a problem elsewhere only to have to take it all off again.
Steamer in Black, totally standard.
ZZR1400 in Black, remapped at Hilltop.

nightrunner

Its definitely 'chicken soup' (couldn't hurt).  I do not know your skill level so I'll suggest you check the factory manual, if you have one, for the proper torque pattern and spec.  I would post the diagram if I had a photo hosting site.  Perhaps one of the gurus here could help.

Yeah of it started leaking a few hundred miles into a new head/base gasket, there is a very good chance that simple tightening is all it needs.  We'll keep our fingers crossed for you bro!
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

JetdocX

From parts unknown.

TigerTastic

My skill level isn't very high mechanically - I'm better with technology - so Tiger ownership is going to be a challenge whatever!!

I did get a Haynes manual with it though and I'm fairly sure I have an electronic Triumph manual too so they'll help too.

That's the link I need Jet thanks!! I need to get some Hylomar, ebay has it so I'll get some sorted.

Thanks for the help and the support guys.
Steamer in Black, totally standard.
ZZR1400 in Black, remapped at Hilltop.

JetdocX

My local auto parts store has it, FWIW.
From parts unknown.

PeteH

Quote from: "TigerTastic"I was looking around the engine and noticed 'fresh' brown water on the head that was definitely not there when I looked it over yesterday. It looked to me that the head gasket was leaking so I decided to check out the forum to see if anyone else had suffered the same fate with their Tiger. What I found was the last but one owner's issues with it (Tomski). He had apparently twice changed the gasket and it's obviously still a problem. He also decided to move it on to the guy I bought from who probably decided to do the same thing!

Having called the local Triumph dealer and got a rough price (£650 - £750) to change gaskets, oils, filter, coolant etc and £1500 to replace the head if warped I now find myself with a bit of a dilemma and a little deflated!

Any suggestions?
 :?

I had my head gasket changed a while ago, 885i Girly, it used to weep on the left rear of the engine just below the injectors. This only happened when the temperature dropped, and from what I could tell was not leaking into he motor.
As its big sevice was due and the valves needed to checked I got them to the head at the same time, cost around £300 but would need to confirm this.
Aint had it re-torqued? so maybe they ran the engine for a while then did it?
Might be worth giving this guy and gal a ring  

http://www.twowheelworkshop.com/  :D

Bit of trek but if you realy feel it needs sorting it might be worth it.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour