News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Leaky fuel tap

Started by 97tiger885, December 16, 2011, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

My OEM tap is leaking.  I have read the leaky fuel thread and consensus is to replace the OEM (US$105) with the Yamaha 2GU-24500-02-00 (US$30).

My question is this: Did anyone try fixing the tap by installing a stiffer spring?

For the curious, here are photos of the tap assembly:

Note the phillips headed screw is on the side of the outflow pipe.

Remove this screw:

Pull out the handle.  Careful...there is a spring inside:

Looking inside the assembly you see an O-ring and the valve:

Use a screwdriver to pry out the O-ring:

The Triumph schematics only show the tap assembled.  My crude measurements suggest the inner diameter of the O-ring is 10mm, the thickness is 2mm and the profile is round.  It needs to be gas resistant given its role in the fuel tap.  

Tap the assembly gently and the valve will fall out:

This is the closed position.

This is the open position.

Note the black rings.  This is wear.  I am guessing the leaking is the result of this wear.  The valve does not tightly seal against the seat.  Would a stiffer spring fix this?

Reassembly is easy as the clever engineers have designed it so that the pieces only go together one way.  

First the valve and O-ring:

Put the spring in the handle:

The handle has nubs of different sizes that fit into notches of different sizes on the valve end:

Line up the notches and nubs and push the handle in until the groove is aligned with the screw:

Note the groove.  If the screw does not go in easily, stop.  One of two things have happened.  You have not aligned the groove with the screw which results in a nice dent. See dent in photo.  Or you are using the wrong hole for the screw.

This hole

Not this hole

Tighten the screw

I attempted to fix this leak by putting in a new spring.  I went to Ace Hardware and bought a spring for US$.69.  The spring transplant was a failure.  The tap still leaks athough it does seem to be leaking at a slower rate.

The old spring in on the right.

BruKen

Give us the oring size and part number and make this a sticky  :idea:

97tiger885

Quote from: "BruKen"Give us the oring size and part number and make this a sticky  :idea:

The part number  and oring size I can probably do.  I don't think I have any control over creating stickies.  I believe Mustang can do that.  Petition him.

Mustang

I have something planned for the maint and repair threads .............

stay tuned for further details

but please do update with a o ring size

skoron

As an FYI, that fuel tap was replaced the fall before I traded the bike in (Fall 2007??).  I tried fixing the old one with new o-ring but just did not work.  Ended up buying a new complete one.

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

TigerTastic

These guys have a repair kit for the fuel tap along with other parts for Hinckley Triumphs and deliver worldwide:

http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/www.triu ... 5713&ack=9

I've just ordered some front caliper pistons from them so will let you know what their service is like - bearing in mind it's Christmas.

Phil
Steamer in Black, totally standard.
ZZR1400 in Black, remapped at Hilltop.

rybes

there a good bunch to get spares from tigertastic. i used them a lot when i was rebuildin mine. parts and service is very good  :wink:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

TigerTastic

Good to know Rybes - I'm guessing they won't be the last things I need!!

rybes

this palce is good to use too. i got my brake seals and cylinders from there

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

TigerTastic

Cheers for that Rybes, I have a few odds n sods coming from them too  :?

......and World of Triumph. None of them had everything I needed in one place!

Sin_Tiger

:iagree Trev is a gent, very knowledgable, helpful and good as his word.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint