News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Handle bar help ASAP!!

Started by fnjeep314, December 01, 2011, 02:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnjeep314

I am pitching my bent up stock bars for a shiny new Pro Taper ATV mid rise bars!! Now, in reassembly on the throttle side, there isn't a hole in the Pro Taper bar, but is in the stock bar, for the back cover to use so the throttle doesn't rotate during operation. Now, what do I or can I do to get it to work? Do I need to drill a hole? Or what? Here are some pics for reference. Thanks for your help!

Here is the back cover with the little post in the center of the cover that is supposed to go into the hole on the stock bar

Here is the stock bar with the hole in it for the back throttle cover.

Here is the Pro Taper bar that is lacking the hole for the back throttle cover.

Thank you all for your help!
I do things!

cosmo

You can do one of two things:

1) drill the hole (pip it first, to guide the bit).

2) lop off the sticky-outie bit, and bolt it up. If the controls rotate in use, fold a bit of sandpaper in half, wrap it 'round the 'bars, and bolt on the controls over the paper.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

fano

I drilled mine. You could just grind off the knob  if you don't want to drill.

fnjeep314

If I grind off the knob, won't the throttle spin on the handle bar?
I do things!

chairhead

Quote from: "fnjeep314"If I grind off the knob, won't the throttle spin on the handle bar?

If it were me then id be drilling them,

in the past i have taken the locating posts off and regreted it,no matter

what the switchgear will move at some point,

put the bars on the bike,sit on the bike so that you are comfortable and

you are happy with the bars location,dont do this just once,always

double check

mount the brake and clutch levers in a place you're happy with and mark

out where you want the switchgear,

take your time and  double check everything then and only then

drill the bars,start by punch marking the drill point and then use a small

drill bit to make the hole,the locating post is approx 4-5mm,6mm might

be a tad too big,

i hope this helps and my apologies if im teaching you to suck eggs :wink:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "chairhead"
Quote from: "fnjeep314"If I grind off the knob, won't the throttle spin on the handle bar?

If it were me then id be drilling them,

in the past i have taken the locating posts off and regreted it,no matter

what the switchgear will move at some point,

put the bars on the bike,sit on the bike so that you are comfortable and

you are happy with the bars location,dont do this just once,always

double check

mount the brake and clutch levers in a place you're happy with and mark

out where you want the switchgear,

take your time and  double check everything then and only then

drill the bars,start by punch marking the drill point and then use a small

drill bit to make the hole,the locating post is approx 4-5mm,6mm might

be a tad too big,

i hope this helps and my apologies if im teaching you to suck eggs :wink:

:iagree  also if ya put a piece of electrical tape on the bars where the switch is goin, put switch on, enter and nip the screw up when the switch is in the position you want and when you remove the switch there should be a mark on the tape from the post, so a perfect point to drill  :D

if that makes any sense   :?

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

fnjeep314

Quote from: "kuzzin kenny":iagree  also if ya put a piece of electrical tape on the bars where the switch is goin, put switch on, enter and nip the screw up when the switch is in the position you want and when you remove the switch there should be a mark on the tape from the post, so a perfect point to drill  :D

if that makes any sense   :?

KK

Thats a great idea!! I was going to try and out the hole where it is on the stock bars, but the tape is a much better idea!! I will be doing this when I get home!!
I do things!

fnjeep314

I have to say that the electrical tape idea worked like a champ!!! Great idea!! Everything is all buttoned up now and looks great!! I can't wait to go out for a ride to shake it down.
I do things!

Sin_Tiger

If you haven't already done it make sure you deburr the hole or it can wear through the spigot quite quickly.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fnjeep314

I did!! But thank you for the reminder!
I do things!

Chad

any pics of the pro tapers in place ?  :D
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

fnjeep314

I dont have a pic yet, but its all done and I have had a few shake down runs to make sure I like the location of the bars. I will get a pic in here as soon as I can!
I do things!

Chad

Quote from: "fnjeep314"I dont have a pic yet, but its all done and I have had a few shake down runs to make sure I like the location of the bars. I will get a pic in here as soon as I can!

good man :D
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida