News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

emulators for a steamer

Started by rybes, December 23, 2011, 08:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

after readin loads on em ive been lookin for a set for a steamer but can only find ones for 1995-2001 forks. would anyone know if these would fit 94 forks ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

I don`t know nothing about the emulators, but after stripping both sets of forks, the only difference i recall is the damper rod bolt is slightly different at the bottom, one`s a little thinner and the actual damper rod  bolts are a different size, i`m sure they were the same length, and the springs were same length, and one of the fork sets have the drain screw, the other doesn`t, can`t remember which is which, and the bushes are a different size.
Sorry i couldn`t be more helpful mate, perhaps Mustang can enlighten us
 :?:

Mustang

kayaba forks (drain hole) and shock up to and include 1997 models

showa forks (no drain hole)and shock for 1998

rybes

cheers rf and mustang. as the emulators are for 1995 onwards it looks as if theyll fit. now i jus gotta find a company in the uk that sells em  :D

Bsquared

You could try Reactive Suspension. I put the RaceTech FEGV S4301 emulators in my Steamer and they do the job just fine. If in doubt about the model that fits for for yours, send them an email. They were very helpful when I did mine earlier in the year.

rybes

cheers bsquared. ill give them a look in a month or 2. how do ya find they heffect the handlin of the bike, a waorth while mod ?

Bsquared

I was looking to reduce the dive on braking and get more feel through the front end, both of which have occured. You get about 10-12 mm more preload when you fit the emulators and I then lowered the forks in the triple clamps to compensate and then a bit extra (4-5 mm) as the steering was a bit sluggish anyway. This has improved the steering response and accuracy. I also eased off a bit on the emulators' stock setting as the high speed compression damping was a bit sharp on bigger bumps.

It wasn't a difficult mod, just a bit time consuming getting the damper rods out to drill them out. I ended up by getting the Triumph tool to do it though if you are lucky, I believe that you can remove them without this. A second pair of hands would be useful.

rf9rider

Make your own tool for getting the damper rod bolts out, i made one up with a piece of tube with a couple of 30mm nuts welded on each end.  :)

And a cheaper option for reducing the dive, fit a couple of inch long spacers in the top of the forks, and maybe a heavier weight oil.

Bsquared

I suppose it entirely depends what Rybes requires. Adding spacers alters the preload which will reduce the dive, but he will then have to address the way the changes in suspension geometry brought about by the additional 25mm of preload will affect the handling. In addition a heavier weight fork oil will produce more progressive compression damping which is not always desirable.

Emulators alter the way the compression damping works and makes it easily adjustable. They don't really affect rebound damping, but this all comes at a cost.

rybes

well bsquared, id like to stop some of the dive under brakin and its also a shiney farkle  :lol:

rf9rider

I`d try the spacers first, it helped mine, might save you £150 too  :D