News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil leak

Started by D-Fuzz, November 06, 2011, 10:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Fuzz

Now that winter is here and I am spending my time shoveling snow, the Tiger has gone into the corner of the garage for its winter slumber.  With the temps cooling down, I have noticed a slight oil leak coming from the bike.  It appears to be coming for the LH side of the engine.  It first I thought it might be from the sprocket cover since I had changed the sprockets & chain this fall.  I drained the oil (did not drain/remove the filter) and resealed the sprocket cover.  I left the bike like that for a few days, without any oil in it, and I still found some leaking.  It isn't very much, just seems to collect on the fins of the bottom of the sump until a few drops start to fall.  I had a look at the LH side of the engine and it almost looks like seepage from the sump gasket.  I checked to make sure the bolts were all snug and there were no problems there.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to look?  I put over 10,000km on the bike this year and it never leaked a drop, it's just been since it has been parked and the weather cooled off.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Mustang

Like this ................

here's tigger two once it's been parked a while

and here's tigger 1 after it's asleep for the winter

don't worry about it unless you are looking at a lake of oil

and on another note tigger 3 which doesn't lean (hacked)has no oil under it
so you are probably correct in that it's the sump gasket

rf9rider

D-Fuzz

Yep, that is it exactly.  I'm thinking with the temps going down, the metal shrinks a bit, just enough for it to weep.  During the summer when it's warm and the bike is being run most days, things likely tighten up.  I guess it is British, so I should expect it.  I'll just keep a rag under it, so it doesn't mess up the floor.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

intotheabis

I just found the same thing on my 98 Tiger. Looks like its coming from the water pump O-ring that seals the shaft going into the motor.
I will clean it up and keep an eye on it.
Intotheabis

D-Fuzz

I think my problem might have been a small crack in the fuel hose coming off the petcock.  I was working on my bike the other day and noticed it.  No much of a leak, but it was there.  I replaced the hose and the spots on my floor seem to have stopped.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black