News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Parts to Take on Tour

Started by Goodwinsplace, February 20, 2012, 10:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodwinsplace

Fingers crossed I can get my bike to full health ready for my Spanish trip in May.
I'm going with others who have done a bit of touring in the past and they have advised to take any parts that are common faults, especially when touring. ie. the BMW owners take a belt, etc.

The main reason is to speed up any repairs and avoid any hiked European prices that may be passed onto a broken down desperate biker.
My personal journey on two wheels: MotorbikeTest.info Blog

PeteH

Quote from: "Goodwinsplace"Fingers crossed I can get my bike to full health ready for my Spanish trip in May.

If its in good health then you should`nt need to take anything :wink: just check over the usual, brakes and pads...frayed cables... decent chain n sprockets.

Things I took....

Spare lamps
gaffer tape & electical tape
electrical ties
chocky block

Oh, and you could put some tyre repair gloop in (ducks)

Another Oh, plus I took out breakdown cover, should have known better realy as Tigs was never going to let me down.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

BigDan

A regulator/rectifier? I've heard they commonly fail and cause a dead battery, might be wise to carry one.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

AK Tiger

Did a tour summer before last from California to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Key West, Florida to Dayton, Ohio and back to Southern California.  Went about 12K miles and needed only gas, oil (changed it mid-way), and tires.  Bike was as reliable as a pet rock.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

delecti

hi,
tiggers are very reliable. regrectifiers can have problems in very hot weather where you would be doing a lot of slow work as they are located behind the motor close to the battery, and heat shags them.
If you mostly hiway touring wont have a problem. however the stator wires going to the RR are known to get water in the connecter and oxidize leaving a bad connection, giving the impression the RR is buggered. It is best to solder (hard wire connection) or use di-electric grease on them, and cover them in electrical tape for that matter do all electical plugs and connectors with di-electric grease. it is amazing to use the horn and it works ever time. Solved a lot of my electrical problems.

If want to take spares you can run a new clutch and throttle cable zip tided to the existing cables so if they break you dont need to take the tank off to replace them.

Just make sure the maitenance is up to date.

Mark
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

Chris Canning

All of the above!!

My Tiger has let me down once(female fuel connector) I bought brand new Triumph plastic replacements and then thought better of it and gave e'm away and bought the metal version,their cheaper  :roll:

Re the reg/rect,I bought new ones as spares this winter,my plan will be to leave e'm with a friend boxed up and he can DHL'em if I need e'm.

Anyone who has changed a clutch cable on a Tiger,(I did my own recall on my 885i!!) and it's a snake charmers job,putting a spare in is an option,although I never have.

But normally I only carry what Pete H does,zip ties,electrical tape,a selection of nuts and bolts,tyre repair outfit,pair of disposable gloves,oh and a large can of chain spray.

And even in the last 6 months I've been abroad with friends who's mobile's don't work on the continent  :roll:

iansoady

A few fuses can come in useful. Tyre repair kit? Although TBH these days I generally rely on breakdown services which are free with my insurance anyway.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sasquatch

In over 60k miles of touring on my 01, the only parts that left me stranded were the plastic fuel fitting, which I fixed with the Team Triumph metal kit, and a battery.  

I carry tire repair (converted to tubeless), slime pump, electrical connectors, small multimeter, and a good selection of tools.  I carry no spare parts and my bike has never let me down since the fuel fittings were replaced.