News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork oil air gap,confused.

Started by aesdj, February 26, 2012, 11:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aesdj

I know that this has been covered and I've used the search tab but I've not come across a positive answer. I've just done my fork oil on my 955i cast wheel, 54 plate and according to the Triumph manual it says :-

Tiger up to VIN 198874 107 mm 720 cc
Tiger from VIN 198875 146 mm 655 cc

Now one post I saw they used 107mm in an 05 which should be a higher VIN than mine which is higher than the number above which is why I set mine to 146mm with 15W.Now I'm wondering if people are just messing with the air gap to reduce the dive etc or is there some confusion of which one to use. Anyway have I done it right or not?

Timbox2

Yep, according to my notes youve used the correct qty/air gap, but yes people have experimented. You may find that the 15cwt gives a pretty harsh ride to start with, especially on cold mornings. I dont think the cast wheel bikes dived as much as the spoke wheel Tigers anyway, I had 15cwt in mine, then had a dealer do the head bearings and while he was at it got him to change the oil again, but forgot to ask for 15, as a result got the standard 10cwt, it was OK I suppose, but was never going to match the rear anyway once I had the Wilbers on.
2016 Tiger Sport