News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Shock fitment on a Girly

Started by Ironhorse, February 25, 2012, 02:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhorse

Does anyone know if a 2006 shock will fit on a 2001? And question 2, are the newer ones rebuildable as opposed to the earlier ones?

Thanks for your help, Joe

topher0268

I believe 2001 - 2006 are the same shock. 99-00 is a little different.

To my understanding (sasquatch can confirm this) none of these units are rebuildable  :?
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

Timbox2

The spoke wheel Tiger shocks( Up to 2003/4) are different to the cast wheel , they are a different length, Im not saying they wont fit but your geometry will go out the window.

The shocks are welded shut but some companies will rebuild em but it isnt recommended, apparently the inner circuits just aint that good.

If the bikes a keeper, spend some money on a decent shock, you wont regret it, transforms the thing.
2016 Tiger Sport

Cos

Quote from: "Timbox2"If the bikes a keeper, spend some money on a decent shock, you wont regret it, transforms the thing.

Big, huge, +1.

I bought a very nice used Wilbers shock from Timbox that went on the bike a few days ago. The bike was a keeper before. With the new shock on, i think it's better than my 955 Daytona
 :lol:

Ironhorse

Thanks for the advice. I will eventually go that route.

Sasquatch

Wire wheeled Girlies are different from Cast, and the shocks are not interchangeable.

Putting a good quality aftermarket shock on the Tiger will make you wish you did it the day you bought the bike.  Stock = Junk.

I tried and tried to master a way of rebuilding the factory shock like I do so many other bikes shocks... but no luck.

Hyperpro makes a very good shock, custom made to your specifications, and the price is not too bad.  It is what I run on my own bike.

BigDan

Does the standard shock have an adjuster under the seat?

If not, then I think I have an aftermarket shock.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Sasquatch

Yes, the standard shock has a spring preload adjuster under the seat.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "BigDan"Does the standard shock have an adjuster under the seat?

Having looked at your photo's,what ever you have on it isn't set very well by the way the bike is sat on it's arse.

blacktiger

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "BigDan"Does the standard shock have an adjuster under the seat?

Having looked at your photo's,what ever you have on it isn't set very well by the way the bike is sat on it's arse.

Who's bike you looking at Chris? If it's Dan's then that's how a Tiger is supposed to look. It's not a supermoto like yours.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Chris Canning

Unless he's just dived into the corner at 100mph yea your right,but other wise it ain't the bikes as flat as a witches tit,what your seeing is crap Triumph suspension with a lot of weight on it(sorry Dan).

Which is fine so long as you only want to potter along a 60/70mph but any kind of speed over an hour or so it won't know if it's coming or going(how do I know!!),you get away with yours riding one up, two up the old suspension soon gets found out.

Bixxer Bob

+1

My suspension is ok for chucking it around at up to 80 ish on my own, but yesterday's run up to the coast with Mrs BB aboard was 'interesting' to say the least. The rear spring just doesn't know what to do. It felt like it was close to bottoming all the time running out of travel on the slightest of bumps yet not soft at all. Maybe more preload, but pity there's not compression adjustment.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...