News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Leakage test

Started by jphish, July 24, 2012, 05:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphish

At 16K mi & in prep for a trip, did a little maint on 06' Girly.  While my thumbs (all 10 of 'em) were already dirty, I also poped open the RR / stator connector to have a look see. Terminals look good, no corrosion or discoloration - yet. (Gonna get to the sasquatch mod one of these day, but meanwhile...) I performed the Leakage test as per Haynes manual. (Triumph manual is decidedly un-helpful) I got 1.4 mA reading. Manual specifies it should not be more than 1 mA. Is 4 tenths of a thousanth of an amp anything to concern myself with? I'm no electrical wizzard, but can change a light bulb if necessary. Thanks all, j

jphish

PS: on Output test - reads around 14.1 V at warmed up idle (12xx RPM) but a quick 5 sec burst to 4000 RPM, voltage actually goes down to around 13.6V. I would have expected an increase - not a decrease? Any thoughts ? Am I going to join the "RR / Stator woes" club soon ? Cheers (well maybe...)

jphish

Just for fun - I pulled connector back apart & cleaned terminals. All values at operating full temp. Now Batt is reading at 12.7 V with key off. 13.4 V at idle, and about 13.8 V at 4K RPM. Battery replaced about 2 years ago - so should be good. I'm thinking 4K RPM should yield around 14+ V - so perhaps some resistance somewhere causing drop. These values dont suggest to me an 'AWOOGA', emergency system failure - but probably should do rewire mod & see what happens.

Bixxer Bob

the voltage drop as the revs rise is hard to explain, but normal.  Those values are similar to what I have (no Sas mod) and I've done 700 miles this week alone.  1500 miles in the last month.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jphish

BixxerBob - This is the first idication I'm 'normal'. Thanks! There are 3  triumph dealers on the approximate route, between me & my destination (800 mi from here) So, what can possibly go wrong...? Appreciate your assurance. Cheers, j

SilverTiger

Mines the same - I fitted a voltmeter to my dash and on tickover to around 1500 rpm it shows 14.00 to 14.40 Volts, on the move it goes down to around 13.50-13.75 V at 3500-4000rpm.  Like you guys, not what I was expecting but all seems fine.  Mine is a 2006 model, 13500 miles or so, no mods on R/R or stator done yet.  Ian.
2006 silver Triumph Tiger 955i
1975 Triumph Bonneville T140
1972 Kawasaki 500 H1B - now restored, very orange
1999 Yamaha R1 - bought new

jphish

Thanks Ian - good to know we're within the standard electron curve. The Haynes manual sez: "Triumph provides no data on the specific output of their charging system, but the regulated voltage should be around 13.5 - 15V" So I guess we're close enough. While I expected the Volts to increase with RPM - other sites on electrics suggest the "regulated" voltage shouldnt vary much with higher RPM, but amps should. So my unqualified assumption is obviously erronious. On the 'leakage' test, haynes sez: "should be no more than 1mA". From other sites, for myriad motorcycle brands, suggest it shouldnt be more than 5-10 mA, depending on clocks, alarm systems etc. Mines at 1.5. Again... good enough. For now - I'll quit worryin' & just ride the tiger.  PS: The tiger 800 manual is much more informative in its trouble shooting proceedure / diagnostics & providing specific values - Just not sure its relevant to the Girlies. Cheers, j