News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front Fork Spring Stock length

Started by topher0268, March 16, 2012, 06:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topher0268

Used search to no avail. My haynes manual also doesn't cover this. Can someone verify the length of both the oem fork spring AND spacer? I'm in the process of switching over to race tech straight rate springs and emulators. Currently there are progressives that were install by the PO. he's had much longer progressive springs in and an ADDITIONAL 2 pvc spacers along with an aluminum one. No idea what is stock if any so it's difficult to determine what the original length should be ...

I've got a 2000 885i .. thanks in advance all
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

DKWrider

I am going to put in a set of Progressive Suspension springs (item 11-1144) very soon in my 2000.  When I do, I will let you know if no one else has responded.  

If you want to know the total length of the Progressive Suspension springs and spacers they are 15.5 inches and 10 inches long respectively.
2000 Lightning Yellow Tiger

topher0268

Actually that's a HUGE help ... the progressive springs that are in there are 20 1/4" on their own. The new straight rate racetech are only 12" so I wanted to make sure I'm remotely close to the original spec when I do this. 25.5" seems about right so I'm going to use that as my overall desired length.

Thanks again.

Chris Canning

Strange one this,having had 2 885i's before buying a 955 the difference between the bike's is like chalk and cheese,you sit in an 885,you sit on a 955,but!!! so many of the parts are interchangable or be it with diffrent part numbers,if my front forks on my 955 were soft my 885 were in the sea sick class.

All the info I've ever seen on Tiger forks is always 955,I see no reason why they won't go into an 855 but I'd imagine it will require some personnel R+D,any after market spring with anything between 10/15wt oil depending on taste.

atokad

OK, just had mine done by the local pro.  Stats are:
Me:230 lbs rider weight
Never carry passenger - light luggage if any
65% road; 35% easy gravel, dirt, forest service roads
2006 Girly

Just measured my stock springs that were taken out: 18.25 inches

What was installed:
Race Tech Heavy Springs. Numbers on the box: FRSP S3732 100
37.0 x 34.5 x 315 mm

Race Tech Gold emulators @ 20 mm preload
Drilled dampening rod
10wt oil - 130 mm (air gap?)

LOVE IT!! I started with the shocks at the stock height in the triple trees, but the bike handles much different and my local pro told me that is because the springs are not compressing as much so the bike is actually sitting higher in front now.

Said I may want to raise/lower - however you think of it, make them protrude above the top triple tree a bit.  I am waiting until I get a new HyperPro rear shock. On order! Due in in about another 3 weeks.   That way I can tune and adjust with all of the suspension bits in place.

So hooked on tuned suspensions now....  it all started when I bought a KTM EXC 450 that had been tuned to the PO whose weight was the same as mine.

Now I GET IT. Tuned suspensions that is. Expensive knowledge to have, but really makes the bike SO much more enjoyable.  It's actually a crime to ride a stock suspension for too long....  :D

John Stenhouse

^^^^

What he said at the end.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Funny reading this Timbox did a posting on another site about aftermarket suspension,key numpty 'I've done 80,000 on my orginals',sorry Tim couldn't help but laugh  :lol:

atokad

I am only at 17k miles on my bike.  It is very expensive to do suspensions and seems hard to justify sometimes based on how much a person rides, conditions, style, etc.

The Tiger is the first bike I have had that I cannot ever imagine selling.  I really plan on keeping it a very long time.  I have had lots of other bikes where I knew I wasn't going to keep it long and no matter the mods that I could do to it, I just knew I didn't want the bike.  Most of the time that wasn't because of a suspension issue, well at least I didn't think so, but now I do wonder.  Had I changed the suspension right away, maybe I would have ridden some of them a lot longer.

The suspension, when properly fitted and tuned, really can "make" the bike.

DKWrider

I have few complaints about the soft stock suspension when riding solo (perhaps my size at 5'8" and 155 lbs being a factor) except for the significant dive when breaking to a stop.  This is very uncomfortable with a passenger.  

Opting for the progressives to firm it up a bit.  Did the same on a Suzuki GS500 and that worked out well.

topher0268

Quote from: "DKWrider"I have few complaints about the soft stock suspension when riding solo (perhaps my size at 5'8" and 155 lbs being a factor) except for the significant dive when breaking to a stop.  This is very uncomfortable with a passenger.  

Opting for the progressives to firm it up a bit.  Did the same on a Suzuki GS500 and that worked out well.

I can't compare stock suspension to progressive because I bought the bike with progressive so I don't know how much dive the progressive springs correct. I can tell you that my emulators and stiff straight rates are installed and I should have the bike back together at the end of the week so I'll give you an update (yeah I tore my bike down .. I mean really what were the odds of two weeks of 70 plus days in central IL IN EARLY MARCH!!!!!!)

Incidentally I prob won't go back to the progressive springs so I'll prob put them up for sale at a reasonable rate if you're interested in trying them.

DKWrider

Stock dimensions:

Spring length:  20 1/4"
Spacer length:  4 5/16"

Just put a pair of Progressive Suspension springs on my Girly.  Used 10w Maxima fork oil filled to 5.5" (140mm) from top of tube with forks compressed.  I noticed the difference right away (even maneuvering it out of my garage).  I really like the way it rides now.  Minimal front end diving.  

Thanks to the forum for recommending this upgrade.

Stitch

Just finished installed my new fork upgrades:

Exact same hardware set-up as Atokad. Per working knowledge from Sasquatch posts, set the emulators at 2 turns out. I also drilled the dampening tube with 1/4" holes per the Racetech specs, used 10w Maxima fork oil.

My stock spring length for my '05 was 18 1/4 inch and 7 1/4 for the steel spacers. The Racetech spring kit did not have enough length of tubing supplied (since the springs are shorter) so I made a couple of pvc spacers to get my preload correct. Set oil level at 146mm per specs. Night and day difference with my new "tune-able" fork upgrade.

In teardown/upgrade I was rewarded with finding the PO stealership using ATF fluid and at 40mm+ below specs (186mm plus). No wonder the front end dove and felt like a cheap sponge in handling the pavement. Not so concerned about the ATF...but so low in air gap.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955