News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Some questions and concerns

Started by mtrdrms, September 24, 2011, 10:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtrdrms

I thought about posting these questions individually but then decided to put them all under one heading so sorry about the vague subject.  

1) My bike seems to use about 1 qt of oil per 1500 miles of riding.  Is this normal?  

2) what kind/weight oil do you all use?

3) I want more lighting for night riding.  Any suggestions from experience?

Thanks everyone,

Andy
1999 Tiger (approx 53k miles)

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

Mustang

do a search for "using oil" tick the search all terms button , search only in Girly forum , it's been done to death you will have lots to read

same goes for lights and lighting...............

and we won't even get into what brand of oil cuz the opinions will be greatly varied

brad1098

Oil usage varies greatly by bike and mileage.  The general consensus at an official "meeting" over beer at Jasper last year is that 955 engines start using oil at 50k

The single cheapest and fastest way to upgrade your lighting is Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's.  $50 bulbs to replace your stock bulbs.
02 black-Lorna

metalguru

Have a look here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100w-SUPERWHI ... 35ab5d87e0

Have them fitted to my tigger and do not need any other lamps, have never been pulled with them, can see well in front for 100mph at night on unlit roads and they state they ship world wide, all for £5.95.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

mtrdrms

Thanks for the info guys.  And it was the box "select all terms" that I was missing so big thanks to you mustang!  That makes the search function useful!

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

mtrdrms

Quick update:
Switched to mobil 1 (from rotella) and still burning lots of oil.  My airbox has oil in it.  Not alot but there is oil around the breather hose and no.1 throttle body.  My question is: if there is oil in the airbox, that means that my breather does not need to be cleaned, right?  Its effectively "breathing" into the airbox?  Just trying to rule out everything before going after the rings.  Bike has about 54k miles.

Andy

-Robert Pirsig

GARYSTIGER955i

Quote from: "mtrdrms"Quick update:
Switched to mobil 1 (from rotella) and still burning lots of oil.  My airbox has oil in it.  Not alot but there is oil around the breather hose and no.1 throttle body.  My question is: if there is oil in the airbox, that means that my breather does not need to be cleaned, right?  Its effectively "breathing" into the airbox?  Just trying to rule out everything before going after the rings.  Bike has about 54k miles.

Andy

I have found that the seal in the alternator cover has allowed a leak past and into the breather system, to find out pull the pipe off the top front alternator cover, and leave on the side stand ticking over, the signs will be oil spitting out.. what i have found is the solid breather tube inside sits on the seal and with engine vibration under usage basically wears a groove in the tube, DO Not seatnew seal in same position, this will leak again as I have found out.
"Led Zepplin didnt write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"

2001 green 995i Tiger
1989 BMW K100 RT
1982 Honda xl185s (now Sold)
1987 Suzuki Gs 850GG
1998 VZ 800 maurader
2004 Suzuki RV 125 vanvan
1998 LDV 400 Convoy.