News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What's the name of the tool I need?

Started by NZDeano, July 07, 2012, 06:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZDeano

Please forgive my ignorance on this one guy's.
I am trying to install a set of Touratech crashbars on my bike.
What is the special tool called that will undo the main engine to chassis bolts :?:
It looks as though it must have a star sort of shape. Also these are torqued tightly (80?) so I presume it must be able to be used in a torque wrench. Is it just a socket type fitting piece?
To those who know all about this, you will probably have a chuckle at my ignorance, but I must admit I have never come across one of these type bolts before? :oops:

Just as an aside, I am going for a ride tomorrow (with a mate on his Bonnie) up the beautiful scenic Westcoast of the South Island of New Zealand to a little place named Karamea (about 200km) First ride for a while because its been so wintery here with icey roads - snow etc. Should be awesome. :D
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

kiwijohn

It is a t55 (torx). That is on my cast wheel 955. I had one come in my socket set.

It will work with a normal wrench.
Somerset, UK

Spud

Have a nice ride, I know the Mrs's family has had some deep snow on the farm, then heavy rain, er sounds a bit like our summer here cheers Spud  :wink:

iansoady

You can get sets of Torx bits to fit torque wrench / ratchet at a reasonable price and it's worth it given the number of those fasteners on the Tiger.

It's best to get decent quality though as once you chew a screw up it's tricky to get it out......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

BigDan

Yeah, I can't see why Torx bolts aren't more commonly used, allen keys are a pain in the arse. Either the bolt strips of the key itself just rounds. Especially the smaller ones.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Chris Canning

Faced with the ever increasing horrors of the dreaded torx bought these from a tool shop in Helsinki !!!

But have to say big bane of most folks is using chocolate tools,if you have a set of allen keys and paid less than 17/18 quid then it's money down the drain,America excepted cuz they still supply the best at a price far better than us.

10 years ago had a major clear out of all the crap tools I'd bought over the years took e'm into work in the days when I had a proper job and let the lads I worked with fight over e'm.

BigDan

I use the Halfords Pro stuff, bought their £150 set when it was on sale for £100. The allen keys are shit, but the rest are perfect with a lifetime guarantee.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

chairhead

Quote from: "BigDan"allen keys are a pain in the arse.

Best keep them somewhere a bit more comfortable then Dan  :lol:

Ok,
i'll get my coat.....................
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel