News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Changing Rear Pads

Started by kiwijohn, July 06, 2012, 12:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwijohn

I love this forum. For a mechanical novice like me it has been a great help. I managed to do most of the 12k service my self, which I would not have even contemplated with out this forum.

Is there a "how to" for changing rear brake pads? I know it is a simple thing to do for many, but for me, steps with pictures are reassuring.

I have a haynes manual which helps, but is covers all 955 models, Sprints etc, so is not so clear for the Tiger.

Any help always appreciated.
Somerset, UK

Chris Canning

As per the book,leave the caliper is situ,undo the screw cover.

Undo the 2 bolts that hold the caliper,lift up off the disc and if you haven't already unscrewed(with an allen key) the locating pin do it then.

It's very straight forwards BUT!!!

If you unscrew the locating pin after you have taken the caliper off,keep the caliper upside down.

A. you can pull the pads out

B. Take your time to see how the steel tensioner(underneath the pads) fits to stop the pads rattling,it's very simple.but if it falls out it'll drive you nuts trying work out how it fits,so long as you can remember it's a 1 second job putting it back in.

kiwijohn

Thanks,

Screw cover? Is this on the caliper?

Is there only one locating pin? Looks like two, but maybe I am looking at the wrong thing.

I have changed pads berfore on my XR400 so not completely inexperienced, but more to it on the 955i Tiger.
Somerset, UK

Chris Canning

Look at the caliper in situ,you will see the pin(only one) at the back follow it to the right there is an end cap you will need a straight bladed screw driver undo the cap and then you need a allen key to unscrew the pin.

It's an old photo but good enough you can see the slotted end cap on the left of the caliper.

kiwijohn

Thanks for that photo. My caliper is different to that. Did it change? I have the cast wheel model.
Somerset, UK

Timbox2

Quote from: "kiwijohn"Thanks for that photo. My caliper is different to that. Did it change? I have the cast wheel model.

Poor ol Chris, tries to help ya, and yes they changed em, on yours its similar, but you now have 2 pins more central, slacken the pins off first with an allen key(Dont fully remove yet), in the picture either side of brake hose banjo, then remove the 14mm caliper bolts, pull caliper off then you can fully remove the pad pins noting how everything goes back together, it helps to undo the brake hose clamp which you can see on top of the hugger as it gives you a bit more play.

2016 Tiger Sport

WestTx955i

kiwijohn

Thanks guys. I thought that was what I needed to undo. The caliper is filthy so needs a clean before I put the new pads in.

Next time will be easy.
Somerset, UK