News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Greetings and Salutations!

Started by nadahonda, April 28, 2012, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocinante

Great read and welcome to the best Tiger-forum I've known during my 14 years as a Steamer owner.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

nadahonda

Hello again,

Well, a lot has happened to my Tiger (now affectionately named "Bubbles") since riding it home 2 months ago, I have managed to put just under 2000 miles on her, about 75% pavement and 25% gravel/dirt - Bubbles has continued to impress me through it all.

Remember the chain issue (2 links too long)? Well that, coupled with a very slow, undetected leak in my rear tire and my silly under-experienced mechanical decision has led to Bubbles getting a new rear tire and a new trend-setting facelift ( I'm pretty sure all the Girlies will want to look like this now    :wink: )

story goes like this:

After finally getting my wife to take a short ride with me, upon returning home I noticed the rear tire was noticeably low (I know, I know...but my wife is only 140 lbs or so) Hmm...I inspected and was able to find the leak - a metal object embedded deeply in the rubber. Well, here's my first chance at tire repair on a tiger, I thought. Out came the as yet unused TUBELESS tire repair kit, you see, the rear tire said TUBELESS in big letters on it, so I finally got to try my hand at repairing a TUBELESS tire....I think I did a great job actually, until the fugger was still not holding air, and I visited TT, where I was able to ferret out that the rear tire was not TUBELESS at all....rather the opposite.... :oops: .....well silly me, not knowing that spoked wheels are always tubed, lets just say I learned that "tip" the hard way.... :roll:

Anyhow, we were off to see Tenacious D that weekend, so I had to let the tire thing go until the following week. I decided I was going to post up pictures of the tweaking I had been doing with my Cee Baileys windshield (which was actually working pretty great) the morning we were leaving for the show, when I hear this BOOMCHRUNCH from my carport, where Bubbles is kept.

:shock:

"What was that?"

I ran out, and sure as shit, there lay my baby ON HER SIDE :x........  :evil:.........:cry:

Had to yell for the wife to help, and got Bubs back upright...

Windshield mangled:

Lever Bent:

Plastic shattered:

These pics are obviously after my mend jobs, which were thankfully pretty simple.

I have seen the warnings all over this site:

:!: TIGERS LIKE TO TIP OVER :!:

and they really do......

So, I have somewhat of a different looking Tiger, but she is in pretty good shape now.....Like I said: new rear tire - a Dunlop Tr-91, which seems to be doing very well both on and off the road, and I broke the too long 118 link chain and made it the proper 116 links. Eccentric is in the proper spot now, and Bubbles is much more stable when at rest on her sidestand.

I Like the way she looks now, and guess what - NO BUFFETING!!!

Hope you are all having a great season so far!!
"Ride the Tiger. You can see his stripes, but you know he\'s clean"
-Ronnie James Dio -R.I.P-
\\m/(o.o)\\m/
2000 Tiger 885i
1978 Honda CX500

Chad

strewth you two are getting off to a rough start :shock:

funniest thing ive ever seen was a mate reeming out his tubed tyre to fit a plug , and his face when i told him of his folly , but to top my mirth off he then tried filling it up with a can of instant repair :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser with the stuff blasting over him from the hole :lol:  :lol:

ye live and learn mate :friday
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chad"strewth you two are getting off to a rough start :shock:

funniest thing ive ever seen was a mate reeming out his tubeless tyre to fit a plug , and his face when i told him of his folly , but to top my mirth off he then tried filling it up with a can of instant repair :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser with the stuff blasting over him from the hole :lol:  :lol:

To make this funny wouldn't it have to be a 'tubed' tyre?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chad

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Chad"strewth you two are getting off to a rough start :shock:

funniest thing ive ever seen was a mate reeming out his tubeless tyre to fit a plug , and his face when i told him of his folly , but to top my mirth off he then tried filling it up with a can of instant repair :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser with the stuff blasting over him from the hole :lol:  :lol:

To make this funny wouldn't it have to be a 'tubed' tyre?

that it would bob :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :qgaraduate
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

nadahonda

Yep, Tubed definitely makes it funnier!  :P

To make matters worse, when I brought the tire in to the local moto-shop for replacement, they did not put a new tube in for me - "Well you didn't specifically say to put a new tube in" - No, I thought that explaining the whole situation (how I mangled the tube) and showing the salesman the plug sticking out of the "tubeless tire on a tubed rim" would be enough info for you to deduce a new tube was needed as well.....my bad, I guess,,,,at any rate, made this discovery after everything was back together, and had to pull it all apart to bring the tire back so they could put a new tube in for me....."Gee, I don't know how our mechanics missed it, it looked like you stabbed it with a screwdriver a few times....".........DUH! :?

Well I guess that's the whole deal with tubeless on a tubed rim - if yer tube fails, the bead will hold in air for some time (unless your bead has been compromised somehow).......is that why they have it set up that way???
\\m/(o.o)\\m/
2000 Tiger 885i
1978 Honda CX500

Mustang

Quote from: "nadahonda"Well I guess that's the whole deal with tubeless on a tubed rim - if yer tube fails, the bead will hold in air for some time (unless your bead has been compromised somehow).......is that why they have it set up that way???
no you were just lucky.

and that's also the reason most of us do our own maint.
the bike shop so-called techs are IDIOTS :shock:

treewright

Hi there welcome aboard, hmm i did enjoy my CX silverwing too!! until the frame broke. You sound like we may hear from you a bit :lol:
Really nice photos
1983 landrover 110 3.5 turbo diesel,yamaha xt600 tenere 1987,triumph tiger 885 carb 94,95?

deepsouthtiger

A little late to the party here.........but a big CONGRATULATIONS! Fine looking ride. Welcome.  I am certain you will enjoy that new bike.  :D
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

nadahonda

Hello all!

Just wanted to share a teaser pic from the day-trip report I have just started over in RR: http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,11604

Hope you are all having a fantastic summer!!

\\m/(o.o)\\m/
2000 Tiger 885i
1978 Honda CX500