News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

exhaust heat shield

Started by Trophykev, August 13, 2012, 12:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trophykev

recently got a genuine TOR can without a heat shield.
I know I can fit the shield from my existing can but why cant i run the exhaust wth no shield.
Other aftermarket exhausts dont have the same shield - what is different

I dont carry pillions so i wont burn them.

thanks
Kevin

iansoady

If you've ever leant against an exhaust wearing plastic overtrousers you'd know......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

The aftermarket TOR can never came wih a heat shield,your mean't to drill the pop rivets off the original and swap it over,you can run it without the heat shield it'll just look crap,well even worse than a stocker,I've never seen one were you can't see the crease from the internal baffle. :cry:

yamaha6

Hi
I drilled out the rivets on my standard exhaust and then tapped the holes with a M6 second tap without having to alter the hole size.Heat shield is now held on with M6 c/sunk screws.

Alan

Trophykev

thanks guys.
Yes Ian bin there especially on an inner thigh.............
I shouldnt contact it too easily though as i have TT pannier frames.
Guess the trend is dont be lazy, everyone else did it !

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Trophykev"thanks guys.
Yes Ian bin there especially on an inner thigh.............
I shouldnt contact it too easily though as i have TT pannier frames.
Guess the trend is dont be lazy, everyone else did it !

Not everyone  :D , didn't want to mess up my original can and couldnt find another heatshield at the time so I ended up just putting the TOR on without one.

Have since got one but havent got around to fitting it.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Trophykev

Aha, i take it thats not too hot.
Cant see much behind the pannier rack and if i ever get boxes even less.

BigDan

I find aftermarket cans never get as hot as original cans. I'm assuming because they are more free flowing.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

HockleyBoy

Haven't noticed the heat anymore than with the heatshield but then I am not in the habit of putting my hands on the exhausts of recently run vehicles!

Havent notice the pannier getting hot either, don't carry a pillion so don't know if it would make a difference for them.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: "BigDan"I find aftermarket cans never get as hot as original cans. I'm assuming because they are more free flowing.

As opposed to aftermarket being aluminium and the stocker/TOR being stainless and absorbing a lot more heat.