News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Slow cranking, battery or starter clutch?

Started by davensocal, January 27, 2005, 06:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davensocal

OK, I have another question for everyone..  This is for my new (to me) '00 tiger 900i.  

Seems a little slow to turn over.  On a cold start it fires up on the 4 or 5 revolution (sounds like a compression cycle), it just seems slow in making those revolutions.   I would guess a touch more than one revolution per second.  It is slow enough to make you wonder if it will make the next revolution...

Anyway, I have started to wonder if it is battery, starter, or just normal for this bike (nothing to compare to near me..).  

Tried charging the battery, but it made no difference.  

Is it a valid test to monitor the voltage while cranking?  What is an acceptable voltage drop?

How can you diagnose starter clutch slippage?  

Thanks in advance!!  

Dave

T_Phil

Why don't you try starting with jumper cables attached.  If it starts better, then probably your battery's gone.  Average battery life is about 4 years anyway.

Phil

davensocal

Phil-

I always get nervous jumping a bike...  Especially with the brains on the EFI..  

Is it acceptable to jump these things now?  My previous bikes, and my jetskis tell you repeatedly not to jump them (even though all were 12V).

Thanks,

Dave.

knarf

Put battery on charger for a few hours and see if that helps.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

T_Phil

Quote from: "davensocal"Phil-

I always get nervous jumping a bike...  Especially with the brains on the EFI..  

Is it acceptable to jump these things now?  My previous bikes, and my jetskis tell you repeatedly not to jump them (even though all were 12V).

Thanks,

Dave.

Well, I'm no elecrical wizard, so I really can't say much about that.  But if you disconnect the + of the bike battery and hook up a car battery with the + cable directly to the + lead of your bike, what harm could that do?  It would be the same as if you would put a new battery on your bike, wouldn't it?

Phil