News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Level

Started by Chris Canning, August 25, 2012, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

One of those usless pieces of info!!,changed the oil on the Tiger yesterday,had left(forgotten) it draining for 3 days,put 4 liters into it and checked the level without starting the motor which I have never done before,level is perfect,after starting it's off the dip stick and has to be topped up for the level.

iansoady

How long did you leave it before checking?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

John Stenhouse

After starting and before dipping?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

John Stenhouse

Did you change the filter too?

Chris Canning

John Stenhouse

Well filling the filter will take a half litre

John Stenhouse

But you knew that didn't you

Chris Canning

What I was getting at,the spec says 4 liters mine has always needed more to get the right level on the dipstick,when I change oil I've always put the 4lt in started the motor let it run for a while and then topped it up and that level has always remained constant.

For the first time I put 4lt in and didn't start the motor,let the oil settle,as I had the bike on the ramp in the garage and didn't intend starting the motor I checked the level and it was perfect on the stick.

John Stenhouse

Aren't there two different sticks? Seem to remember that from somewhere on here. Just goes to prove that book learning isn't all its cracked up to be.

On anther forum the Haynes manual is called the "book of lies", there are some mistakes in that tome too