News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lambda (oxygen) sensor disconnected.

Started by Fross, September 10, 2012, 04:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fross

I was tinkering with the bike and removed the side cover to check the fuel tank/pump connections and noticed an electrical connector taped up and covered with a plastic bag. See pic. I followed the sleeved cables down to the Lambda (oxygen) sensor in the exhaust system? It has been disconnected by a previous owner.
Why would this be done and what would the experts out there recommend I do?
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.
British Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

vince

not sure but if you find the other connector that that one fits it might have a
oxygen sensor eliminator fitted

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxygen-o2-sensor-eliminator-Triumph-Tiger-955i-/260978159198?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cc382ae5e

what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

metalguru

If it has the CO sensor disconnected and an eliminater fitted, then the best way forward is to disconnect the eliminater and launch it as far as you can in a parabolic curve into the nearest bin/ocean etc. (or ebay).

For the ECU to function at its best,(even though it is French built), it needs an input from the CO sensor. Although the sensor is a bit on the dumb side it will contribute to better running when the engine is re-mapped to run as it should. Having said that when I have made my map I take it out of the equation at idle, just to give a smooth even idle.

To give confirmation of the CO sensor working, TuneEcu will need to be connected.

:thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Mustang

Fross

Many thanks for your replies. I've taken the cover off again and looked closely inside under the fuel tank. Yes there is a BLACK plug inserted into the loom connector where the Lambda sensor wires should be plugged into. Guess this must be an "eliminator" (different colour to one pictured on eBay).

Do you think I can simply unplug the "eliminator" and reconnect the Lambda sensor, or should this only be done once TuneEcu is connected up to the bike?

I'm getting confused (not difficult).
The workshop manual says the Lambda sensor measures Oxygen (O²) isn't CO Carbon Monoxide? Or is it the same thing where exhaust gasses are concerned?
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.

Fross

Oops! It seems I've upset my bike. I fitted new Lucas 'Xenon 50' headlight bulbs this evening and LED's in the clocks and warning lights (to make things brighter). Waited till dark before going out for test run. Engine failed to start. It took three '5 second' attempts before she fired up. The engine warning light is now staying on. The new lights are brilliant though.
I wonder if when pulling at the 'Eliminator' plug last night I disturbed the connection, so when I got home I pulled the Eliminator plug out and connected the Lambda sensor instead.
It too late now to test, so that'll have to wait. I've uploaded photo's showing the eliminator, it has just two pins. I removed the cap and you can see there is a resistor across the two pins, very simple.
Sorry about the poor quality photos.

Bixxer Bob

Yup, just a resistor. 47k ohm if I remember rightly.  But don't quote me....  Or it might be 47 ohm....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...