News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger durability

Started by RiverRat, February 07, 2005, 09:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRat

I'm buyin a Adv Tourer this year to replace the VFR but not sure what to buy.  Im lookin at the Tiger, R1100GS, and a Guzzi Quota.  Don't really want to spend much more then $5k so I don't really think I can afford the 955i, what advantages does it have over the 99-00 885?  How many miles have you seen on some Tigers I want somethin I can pack allot of miles on, I know the GS and Quota can put allot on and my VFR has over 100k on the clock so I expect the same from any newer bike I buy.  I know your opion will be a little bias but the Tiger seem like the right bike for a combo of touring and still not as heavy as the rest for fireroads and such but haven't noticed many high mile Tigers around.  Are there any know problems to watch for or things that should be replaced?

Kill Switch

I have a '99 - just bought it about 6 months or so ago with 10,000 miles...now has 17,000.  Sat for three years in the Florida rain and sun, being dragged in and out of the dealer's storage each and every day.   After I detailed it everything looked fantastic; paint, rubber etc. cleaned right up.  No major problems.  I think it will last for quite awhile.  Running Amsoil...no telling how many miles I can put on the engine.  Wholly recomment the 885.

whoa

I paid $5500 for my 01 995i with 7000 miles.  No extras on the bike.  You should be able to find a 995 in your price range.

RiverRat

I'd get one if I could find it for that price...whats the biggest advantage for the 955i over the 886 in the 99-00 just HP or anything else?

whoa

Quote from: "RiverRat"I'd get one if I could find it for that price...whats the biggest advantage for the 955i over the 886 in the 99-00 just HP or anything else?

From another thread on this site:

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=167&highlight=885+955

Deltabox

As far as reliability is concerned: Mine (a 1993 Steamer) has got 76k km on the clock, but has already had its piston rings and valve stem guides replaced and valves reground at 70k, because oil consumption had gone to a whopping 1 l/300 km...

Since then, no problems. Oil cosumption has dropped to next to nothing, and it sounds as healthy as ever. Triumph is (let's face it) not known for its production consistency, but BOY, do they make wonderful machines.

In spite of what everybody says, the 85 HP of my steamer are enough, as torque is available everywhere.

At the moment, I am still contemplating rebuilding and/or modifying the bike, but selling? No way!

I have seen Tiumph 885 engines do 170k-200k km without major hiccups, just regular TLC (such as piston rings etc).

As for the MG Quota, take it from me: DON'T go there. Not a bad bike generally, but the fuel system excels at being unmanageable. Plus you've got the added bonus of italian electrics... (that's from a reliable MG source).
Red T400 (\'94)

Also: FZR 600 (\'91)

oldbanker2003

:lol: IÌm running a 2000-year 885i bought it in late 2003 with 7,000mile on it its now up to 31,000 no problems just regular servicing.

Had to replace front wheel bearing, damaged seal probably from manufacture and Speedo cable down to ham fisted grease monkey.

The only other problem is trying to wipe the stupid grin of my stupid face ever day!!

SteveH