News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Idle Air Control Valve Cleaning Method?

Started by Fross, November 21, 2012, 03:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fross

I have finally got round to giving my Tiger a full service which includes investigating as to why it miss fires at low revs. This is the first time I've had the tank off the bike. There are holes in the vacuum pipe to No.1 throttle body (this is what I had been told to look for on this site). The IACV was slightly open by about 4mm. Is this wrong? I separated the IACV and pushed in the plunger, should this return on its own? When I pulled it back out it came completely apart. :BangHead I have now got the valve back together but wonder if it's still going to work. :doubt

I suspected the Vacuum pipes were going to need replacing so have already bought silicone vacuum tube, but hadn't realised how tightly the original pipes bends. Does it matter which pipes connect to which connections on the IACV? If I swop the connections I might be able to limit the bending of the new tube.  Help please

(Checking valve clearances this afternoon while tank is off, wish me luck)   :wave

Update: All valve clearences are in spec  :thumbsup now to reassemble and check/adjust ballance of throttle bodies.
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.
British Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

Timbox2

As a couple of us found out, taking the IACV valve apart isnt recommended, mine ended up pinging around the garage. The white piston itself is on a screw thread so although you may be able to push it in, no, it wont return on its own. After my "Service" of the IACV, I ended up buying another as it was never right, you might be lucky. If your No1 idle pipe had holes in it I would have thought that was the main cause of your issues. When you turn ignition on the stepper motor will adjust the piston to where it thinks it should be based on sensor information etc, so its perfectly normal to see a gap sometimes.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Yup, Tim andI  both did what you did. The piston is on a stepper motor so shouldn't move up and down by pressing, it needs a DIGITAL signal from the ECU telling it how far to move. Good luck with it....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

The tighter bends will be ok as long as the silicon tubing is made to support a vacuum.(vacuum type tube).
The porting on the IACV is common so it doesn't matter where the pipes are connected, just make sure that the blanked port is not used, this was for the 4cyl engine.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Fross

Throttle bodies now set only No3 was a bit out No.'s 1 &2 were even but now all three run together and engine sounds noticeably smoother :thumbsup I then fitted the IACV with new Silicone Vacuum tubes (thick tube bought and designed as Automotive Vacuum Tube) :hat10.
I started engine and saw IACV moving up and down as I guess it's supposed to, the tick-over settled to 1200 rpm when throttles shut. So I presume its working as it's supposed too, although it doesn't appear to shut off completely when the engine is revved up. :doubt
I'm hoping I've got away with it. Fuel tank back on next and test ride will have to wait till tomorrow. I will let you know.

Will I need to reset throttle position sensor using TuneECU before I go any further? :wave
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.

metalguru

It wont do any harm to do a TPS reset, just don't move anything when resetting untill reference voltage stabalises.
This can be veiwed in Diagnostics under throttle.
Have keyswitch on, engine not running, press TPS reset, when TPS reset done change to diagnostics screen,
start engine DO NOT touch throttle, TPS voltage will go from about 0:02 average to about 0:60V after about 20 seconds. Job done. (Voltage range at closed throttle for healthy TPS is 0:58-0:68V average).
Don't forget to lube the IACV with a squirt of Teflon or Silicone spray NOT WD40.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Fross

Quote from: metalguru on November 21, 2012, 08:48:53 PM
It wont do any harm to do a TPS reset, just don't move anything when resetting untill reference voltage stabalises.
This can be veiwed in Diagnostics under throttle.

Thanks Neil :thumbsup, I successfully connected my Laptop to the ECU :eusa_clap it says the Map loaded in my Tiger is No. 10120, this Map (according to the info found via Tune ECU web site) is for Tigers "From VIN # 124106 to VIN # 206546"
My Tiger has Vin No. 214XXX so I believe it should have Map No. 10172.
It looks like I need to load the correct map, I wonder why it would have the older map installed?

Bixxer Bob

As a general rule, Triumph dealers not knowing what they're doing. 

To the busy technichian, it's just another bike.  To you, your pride and joy. If a previous owner asked for a re-map, and it already had the right map but was running rough, many would just try another and hope, not realising (or possibly they do know) that most maps work ok for a few miles (ie enough to get the customer out the door) because of the trims resetting.  Once the bike starts to re-trim itself, the old issues will creep back in, and may even be worse.

Rule number one with these bikes is though, if it's running ok, don't f**k with it. 

But since you've cured an air leak your trims will be way out anyway soyou may as well put the right map in if you feel confident to do so.  Read thoroughly first and make sure your battery is tip top.  It needs to be delivering at least 12.6v throughout the process.  Using a booster battery is ok.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Fross

I loaded Map No. 10172 successfully this morning (connected 'back up' car battery to bike to make sure voltage stayed up). Went for test run and now I can really say she is purring like a kitten and because of the new chain and sprockets she's as smooth as a Mink. I am one very happy Biker :thumbsup. The bike was very rough below 2000rpm before making it difficult to ride in traffic (plenty of that round here) but now pulls smoothly from 1500rpm. I have to thank everyone who contributes to this site as I'm sure I'd never done it without reading all the information and help on here.
Thank you all. :wave

Chad

glad you got sorted  :eusa_clap  see i told you this place has some fine minds , when on the tiger that is  :hat10
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

Bixxer Bob

The roughness below 2000rpm will have been the split hose. Glad it's now runing ok :XXsunsmile

brianco

In case anyone else reads this, definitely don't clean it with electronics contact cleaner or MAF cleaner. I destroyed mine and had to buy a new one.

I don't know what works because I'm not going to mess with the new one!