News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

885i IGNITION WOE

Started by sTe140Ve, December 20, 2012, 02:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sTe140Ve

I took my 1999 885i to the only place within 70 miles of home, that had Triumph diagnostic kit. The bike had a running problem (engine warning light showing). Their diagnostic showed a fault with the ignition coils. They ordered a new set of coil packs and when they had not arrived after 10 weeks I bought and fitted new ones myself. OK so far, except there diagnosis was not completely on the ball. I still have the fault and the bike is getting increasingly hard to start. I bought a Dealertool DIY diagnostic program that shows all 3 coil packs are "open circuit". The wiring diagram for this bike completely bamboozles me - Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try next? Cheers!

iansoady

Get a copy of Tuneecu (free download) and an appropriate cable. Do a search here to find out what it does.

I would be very surprised if all 3 coil packs went down at the same time. Your dealer sounds (sadly) rather typical.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Is it showing them open circuit with the engine running??
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

sTe140Ve

Thank you Ian. I have not heard of Tune ECU before but I will be downloading it shortly. It should be a useful tool for future problems as well.

In reply to Bob - I assume that the "open circuit" condition is present with the engine running because, on one occasion the warning light came on whilst I was riding.

Timbox2

Other thing you might want to look at is the Underside of the ECU and the plug(Just 1 on the 885?) and contacts, I think on the 885 they are in the same place and if the holes in the mudguard havent been sealed, well,  a few know what can happen
2016 Tiger Sport

sTe140Ve

Thanks, I'll be having a look at that.  :thumbsup