News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shim Pack

Started by VM-BASIC, January 27, 2013, 09:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VM-BASIC

Hi everybody,
Can anyone tell me if such a thing exists?
I have been searching the net to no avail.
What I really require is a complete shim pack, so when I come to adjust the valves I have a ready supply of likely shims. Just me being anal a little as I would rather have it all to hand before I dive in, than leave it semi dismantled waiting for some shims to show up.
I am in the Medicine Hat area of S E Alberta if anyone has local knowledge of availability.
Bfore you ask, I have e-mailed Echo Cycle and Blackfoot, am still waiting for a response.

Many thanks in advance and counting weeks until it thaws enough to get Tigger backonto the blacktop
If you can`t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical fault

2001 in Roulette Green

Mustang

that kit on ebay is no bargain ......I wouldn't buy it
It has 8 shims in it that you are never going to use (all the 2.8 and bigger shims ) as triumphs are usually in the 2.8 range when new.
and of the sizes you are likely to need there are only two of each size . and they are in to big of an increment between sizes .

2.65 and 2.75 as well as 2.675 are very common sizes to need when doing a triumphs valves for the first time at 12-20 k miles
I've done enough of em to know to just get what you need

this master kit of theirs has a better slection but still has 12 shims you are never going to need and still only has 2 each of the sizes you will need the most of
again you'd be better off just buying what you need .
you can get 25 mm shims from Honda Suzuki, Kawasaki and triumph dealers

VM-BASIC

Hi Mustang, thanks for the advice.
So picking your brains a little, how many of what sizes would you reccomend to have to hand to accomplish this in one foul swoop. I appreciate that you can often mix and match other shims. Living here in rural Alberta makes doing the simoplest things a pain as travelling to where the parts are would take best part of a day up.
Any advice as ever always welcome
If you can`t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical fault

2001 in Roulette Green

Mustang

How many miles has the bike done ?
has it been ridden hard ie . Long days in hot weather at high rpms ?
have the valves ever been shimmed ?

as you see there are a lot of variables at play here.....................
Myself I wouldn't buy any until I knew what it needed ........It's winter ,it won't matter if she sits for a day or two or three to get shims you need .
The shims cost anywhere from 7to15 bucks each depending on dealer .
And you never know there is a good possibility that you check the clearances and won't need to do anything but button it back up .

Fross

Quote from: VM-BASIC on January 28, 2013, 02:41:26 AM
Any advice as ever always welcome
I was thinking just like you :thumbsup and wanted to buy a range of spare shims before stripping down to check the clearances. When I did the service all the valve gaps were within tolerance with no adjustment necessary. I was glad afterwards I didn't buy any.
I did buy the special tool, which now sits unused in my toolbox ready for next time. But from what I've read, it could be a long wait before I ever need to use it. :sleepy1
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.
British Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

Meatman

I was told, if the valves aren't making any noise then they are probably within tolerance and to leave them alone till they do start to make a little noise.  Checking them is easy enough, but I had mine checked at the first 14,000 and they needed no adjustment.

Bixxer Bob

logic is only true for old engines usually with tappets. On modern engines like ours with buckets and shims, the clearance is affected by wear, the valve face/seat to be exact.  The effect is the gap gets smaller, not bigger so rattles are good, quiet is bad. Very bad. :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

:iagree
I'm with bob on this
has been the case on every hinkley triumph I've been in

someones been talkin  :Topes to ya