News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How To Change An Air Filter

Started by Stretch, October 13, 2008, 01:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULATOR

Quote from: "EvilBetty"That did it!  A little WD-40 swabbed on with a finger and it slid right in!

well I'm glad that worked out!

DKWrider

Besides OEM Triumph and K&N, has anyone used a UNI foam filter on their Tiger?  I see they make one for it.  I run them on my dirt bikes.
2000 Lightning Yellow Tiger

aesdj

A couple of questions. First, I'm sure mine came out with the steel mesh part facing towards the front or up. Now to me this was right for two reason. One the filter carn't drop out if its a bit of a loose fit because you've pushed it in from the top so it's not able to come out unless it moves upward and gravity and friction will stop that from happening and second, the steel will catch the big bits like leaves etc first and then the paper will catch the smaller stuff. I carn't see it mattering which way round it goes any way because it will still filter exactly the same both ways, won't it?

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "DKWrider"Besides OEM Triumph and K&N, has anyone used a UNI foam filter on their Tiger?  I see they make one for it.  I run them on my dirt bikes.

I'm putting one in today!! It really was a fiscal decision. I'll keep u updated
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

iansoady

Quote from: "aesdj"A couple of questions. First, I'm sure mine came out with the steel mesh part facing towards the front or up. Now to me this was right for two reason. One the filter carn't drop out if its a bit of a loose fit because you've pushed it in from the top so it's not able to come out unless it moves upward and gravity and friction will stop that from happening and second, the steel will catch the big bits like leaves etc first and then the paper will catch the smaller stuff. I carn't see it mattering which way round it goes any way because it will still filter exactly the same both ways, won't it?

I can't remember. However, I'd probably fit it with the mesh towards the throttle bodies as it would stop any tendency for the paper to get sucked in.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

cosmo

Quote from: "iansoady"I can't remember. However, I'd probably fit it with the mesh towards the throttle bodies as it would stop any tendency for the paper to get sucked in.

THIS, is correct. However, I, too, just noted that the factory filter (bought my bike absolutely new, 1 mile registered) was in place backward.
Don't know why, lazy Tony on the line, as it IS easier to fit wrong way 'round.

The reason to fit the seal portion towards the TB is that the airbox has it's mating surface there, and when you tighten the whole, it forces the filter to seal on that surface. Plus there is the additional seal of having the recess for the seal on its sides. Yes, it is harder to fit, because the seals are now working.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

DeanRider

Quote from: "aesdj"A couple of questions. First, I'm sure mine came out with the steel mesh part facing towards the front or up. ... I can't see it mattering which way round it goes any way because it will still filter exactly the same both ways, won't it?

To ensure that the air filter is replaced in the correct direction, the following schematic for the Tiger 955i VIN 198875> should help:

:cool:
1967 Triumph Tiger T100
1984 BMW R100CS
2002 Daytona 955i CE
2006 Triumph Tiger 955i
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2007 Triumph Daytona 675
2011 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet Classic

Hatleyrocket

Is there any cross reference to a generic paper element air filter that would be available at a local auto parts store?  Like an advanced auto, NAPA, O'Reiliy's, etc?  It seems like with oil filters, fuel filters, radiator caps and things all have a cross part, I can't see why the air filter wouldn't.  Local auto parts stores seem to have an infinite amount of different sized filters.  Anyone search this out ever?

T

blacktiger

Just buy the K&N and have done with it. The microscopic particles that the K&N misses, that so worry the previous posters, ain't going to harm anything. I've run mine with a K&N for 40000 miles so far without problems.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.