News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

885i breather hose questions

Started by Ming, February 10, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ming

So I was reading the stickied thread: Early Girly breather hose fix
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4378.0.html

And I had some questions for you. Can someone elaborate on what they are doing or talking about in this thread? I don't see how it is good to run a hose from your crank case to the outside environment, even if you put a vent on it. Please let me know if I'm off left field here. I absolutely want a fix for this issues stated though. I understand the concept of oil in the airbox from my sport bike days. We did this same mod (kind of) on our 636's. But we called it a klean air mod, and it was done completely different. We'd reroute the oil that cam out of the pair valve, and re-route it back to the crank case. thus turning it into a closed system. it would smooth out the throttle on top of keeping oil out of the airbox. Can someone that has done this mod, and knows that their bike runs fine post pics of your install please? it would be more than helpful.

benebob

I can tell you what is worse as I listened to my engine die after my accident.  I was waiting until spring to yank the tank and do my 24k service all at once.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Timbox2

Quote from: Ming on February 10, 2013, 02:49:46 PM
So I was reading the stickied thread: Early Girly breather hose fix
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4378.0.html

And I had some questions for you. Can someone elaborate on what they are doing or talking about in this thread? I don't see how it is good to run a hose from your crank case to the outside environment, even if you put a vent on it. Please let me know if I'm off left field here. I absolutely want a fix for this issues stated though. I understand the concept of oil in the airbox from my sport bike days. We did this same mod (kind of) on our 636's. But we called it a klean air mod, and it was done completely different. We'd reroute the oil that cam out of the pair valve, and re-route it back to the crank case. thus turning it into a closed system. it would smooth out the throttle on top of keeping oil out of the airbox. Can someone that has done this mod, and knows that their bike runs fine post pics of your install please? it would be more than helpful.

Firstly, the picture of your bike in your avatar suggests you have a 955i? The Mod they are talking about in the thread was purely to avoid potential  engine failure in the 885i engines. On the 885 if the bike goes over and the engine continues to run oil can get pumped into the airbox and then once the bike is upright and the engine restarted oil can then get straight into the bores and cause hydraulic lock, the 955i breather system was updated and wont normally do this.
2016 Tiger Sport

Ming

bikes been repainted. i have the 885i motor. (build date was 07/00). If anyone has pictures or a more detailed explaination of what needs to be disconnected, and where it needs to be rerouted to please post. Appreciate it.

Timbox2

Quote from: Ming on February 11, 2013, 02:37:13 PM
bikes been repainted. i have the 885i motor. (build date was 07/00). If anyone has pictures or a more detailed explaination of what needs to be disconnected, and where it needs to be rerouted to please post. Appreciate it.

fair enough, cant help you there, never owned an 885, somebody should be along soon
2016 Tiger Sport

John Stenhouse

Ming the mod is for one situation only, when the bike is on it's side. Its' nothing to do with the running of the bike it's when you fall off the problem starts.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Ming

Quote from: John Stenhouse on February 11, 2013, 11:40:29 PM
Ming the mod is for one situation only, when the bike is on it's side. Its' nothing to do with the running of the bike it's when you fall off the problem starts.

yes I am aware of this. I will be riding the bike in places where it will end up on it's side.(most likely while the bike is still running) I want to keep oil out of my airbox in these situations. those that can help with the pictures. again, i'd appreciate it.  :thumbsup