News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve shim calculator/tool

Started by Fe Man, May 02, 2013, 03:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe Man

The used to be a link to an excel (or other) valve shim calculator on the site and I had it saved but the old computer crashed.

Anyone have the valve shim calculator saved or a good link for a new one?

Thanks,

Chuck

blacktiger

Why do you need a calculator? You measure the existing clearance and if it's tight you go down a size. If it's loose you go up a size. Very unlikely that you'd need to change by two sizes. At least, I never have.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Mustang

exercise in futility ?
he asked ....................
I provided a link to one
maybe some folks are not as good at math

Fe Man

Quote from: blacktiger on May 02, 2013, 01:01:51 PM
Why do you need a calculator? You measure the existing clearance and if it's tight you go down a size. If it's loose you go up a size. Very unlikely that you'd need to change by two sizes. At least, I never have.

Perhaps a new valve or two was installed and I wanted to make it easy on myself....

blacktiger

Quote from: Fe Man on May 02, 2013, 03:51:01 PM

Perhaps a new valve or two was installed and I wanted to make it easy on myself....

OK but it's still simple maths. e.g.
If your clearance needs to be 0.2mm and you measure 0.9mm with 3.00 shim in there. 0.9 - 0.2 = 0.7 + 3.00 = a 3.70 shim needed.
If you don't have any clearance you can't calculate anyway so need to insert a much thinner shim first and then remeasure.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Fe Man

Quote from: blacktiger on May 02, 2013, 04:23:15 PM
Quote from: Fe Man on May 02, 2013, 03:51:01 PM

OK but it's still simple maths. e.g.
If your clearance needs to be 0.2mm and you measure 0.9mm with 3.00 shim in there. 0.9 - 0.2 = 0.7 + 3.00 = a 3.70 shim needed.
If you don't have any clearance you can't calculate anyway so need to insert a much thinner shim first and then remeasure.

If you had my luck, you'd want to double and triple check every calculation.
This project is all because a spark plug came apart and bent two intake valves; see what I mean?

Bad Luck!