News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Best-of-both-worlds transformer bike coming together!

Started by LiveandLetDrive, April 23, 2013, 08:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiveandLetDrive

Just spent a recent weekend playing in the mud on my '00 with a TKC 80 rear on the original spoke wheels and was much pleased.  The previous owner  ( haroldo_psf ) spent a good bit on a Penske adjustable rear coilover and custom front springs, so I think I'm starting with a very solid package.  The bike is edging 73k miles but other than some return-to-idle stalling (suspect pinched IAC hoses) it runs flawlessly.  (I'm ready to do a top end job on it whenever it needs but seems premature currently.)

So the plan is:

TKC 80's front & rear on spoke wheels with factory rotors for dirt

Pilot Road 3's on cast wheels with EBC fully floating rotors (front), new factory rear rotor.

Everything but the TKC 80 front tire is in place, just waiting for the road discs to arrive to get everything mounted up.  $400 after shipping for the front rotors alone, ouch!  Especially after only paying $500 for the wheels...  Factory calipers used for both.  Galfer braided lines and new HH pads ready to go on when I swap back to road wheels.  I used the factory seat for the dirt to keep my Corbin intact.  No cargo currently, for the dirt trip I trucked it up in my open-diff RWD S10 over some rather exciting dirt roads which I think I'd have preferred to be on two wheels for!  Already have crash bars which need improving but saved it in my few drop events.  What other bits might I want to swap out on my transformer bike?

I haven't messed with the suspension tuning yet.  I was hitting ruts at 30-40mph with no bottoming in sight, it seemed to soak everything up nicely.  I even went on some green/blue-level dirt trails where it REALLY did not belong which led to some scary moments but a lot of fun.  Having the torque to lug it from 2k RPM up a steep incline with no clutch saved me several times!  Deep slick mud and deep ruts on steep inclines were disconcerting to say the least.  That said, it's far more off-road capable than I could have imagined, and my first time on the dirt to boot!  Getting a little too used to drifting on two wheels.h

deepsouthtiger

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits