News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dead in Dawson

Started by Easy Tiger, June 17, 2013, 04:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easy Tiger

Help. My Tiger died within spitting distance of the Dempster Highway in the Yukon. I lost all my instrumentation and warning lights, battery voltage dropped to around 6v. The bike started to loose power and when stopped the temp gauge went off the scale but the engine wasn't over hot. The 30amp fuse to the rectifier was cooked, any ideas.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

lukeman

Original Stator and Rectifier/Regulator?  Sounds like it wasn't charging and drained the battery. I blew that 30amp  fuse and didn't realized it, my bike did the same thing, instrumentation went out, then the bike died.

Have you tried disconnecting the R/R and using a different battery to see if she fires up and runs well?  That would point you to a problem with the charging system.  The bike does strange things with a battery dying. 

You could try the non running stator test, see if anything is open or shorted in there.  Also take of the stator cover and have a look at the copper.  If you seen any black melted area's its a pretty good indicator.  If you borrow a battery and get it running you can check the voltage output of the stator by connecting the voltmeter red and black to the pins in the stator connector while disconnected from the R/R.  About 20 volts while idle, 70 while rev'd.

You can also do a basic check on the R/R with a voltmeter as well.  There are guide on this site I believe with the testing procedure.

Easy Tiger

Cheers, I can't check anything yet as I'm still trying to recover the bike back to Dawson. If its not the R/R then I'm going to have to ship my bike the 4,000km to my home. So any extra ideas are gratefully received.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

PeteH

Cant help...but all the best in getting it sorted :thumbsup
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

metalguru

Unfortunatly this is a common occurance, replace the fuse holder with an 80 amp holder, soldered and shrink wrapped, refit a new 30A fuse, this normally cures the problem as it is a weak point in the circuit, if that fails then it will be down to the RR and stator or the wiring inbetween, carry out the sasquatch wiring fix as a matter of course if not done already
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.