News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

steering head nuts

Started by swappy, May 15, 2013, 11:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swappy

Hi there  :wave just bought a 1999 885i tiger, my first. Seemed to be in good shape ish but on closer inspection there's a few things need sorting. Firstly I have a question about the steering head, I think there should be two nuts at the top, am I right?
And both wheels touch the ground when its on its centre stand, and its a bugger to get off the stand seems like the angles all wrong and looks like the PO has had a go at sorting this, I know there's a solution on here somewhere but can't find it.
Also the fan comes on what seems like early after the temperature gauge gets about a quarter of the way up, is this normal.
Lots of questions I know but any help would be appreciated, I'm sure there will be plenty more  :icon_lol:
Yellow tiger 885i 1999

PeteH

Hi, Yep there should be 2 nuts at steering head, as for the stand...my rear wheel is about 2ins off the floor so dig a bit deeper in the search`s , as for the temp gauge mine and most others dont rise much over the first notch, cant remember the last time the fan came on but a quarter up  sounds about right-ish.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

vince

Quote from: PeteH on May 16, 2013, 11:13:47 PM
Hi, Yep there should be 2 nuts at steering head, as for the stand...my rear wheel is about 2ins off the floor so dig a bit deeper in the search`s , as for the temp gauge mine and most others dont rise much over the first notch, cant remember the last time the fan came on but a quarter up  sounds about right-ish.

mines the same as peteH  :thumbsup

cheers vince

what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

swappy

Thanks for the replies, is there any chance one of you could send me a picture of your bike on the centre stand. I've inspected the pivots on mine and they need some work but the stops seem to allow the bike to go to far back making the back tyre touch the floor and really awkward to get off the stand. 
Regards
Yellow tiger 885i 1999

blacktiger

Quote from: swappy on May 18, 2013, 11:07:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, is there any chance one of you could send me a picture of your bike on the centre stand. I've inspected the pivots on mine and they need some work but the stops seem to allow the bike to go to far back making the back tyre touch the floor and really awkward to get off the stand. 
Regards

My fix is in these photos

Which results in the tyre being off the ground again

Description is under each photo http://s396.photobucket.com/user/black955tiger/library/TIGER%20955i/Maintenance?sort=3&page=1
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.